Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #1 
TribalKatFish

Talking I heart me some Craigslist!

I have been looking at poor Butch, in his awful Vase of Doom counting the hours til payday when I can get him a better set up (since finding this site and realizing that I'm a betta-terrorist!...reformed of course.)
I was perusing Craigslist for options and found a 20 gallon set up for $25!!
Not sure if it has a filter, but its got heater, hood/light, water treatment, gravel vacuum etc. It's ok, I squealed a little too :D

So not only, will he have a complete better set up sooner (I was going to have to make weekly purchases for the individual items) with it being a 20 gal, that makes my dreams of a future Sorority all the more attainable! Weee!

He might be in the Vase/dungeon another week until I can get the real plants established and the tank cycled.
Would you recommend splitting the tank right off the bat? so he has his 5 gallons and thinks its a wonderful upgrade, instead of having all 20 to himself then thinking "heyyyyyyyy...." when I section later for the girls?
**does happy dance**
TribalKatFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #2 
TianTian

If he's used to a smaller space he may be a bit shocked by a much larger space. I say go for it, but be wary of how much space you give him right off the bat. :) Just so he's not too stressed out.
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #3 
TribalKatFish

That makes perfect sense! thank you.

I think I will section now, for the sorority later. I was thinking a 15/5 split?

5 would be a nice upgrade from the 1 gal, but not SO much as to freak his poor little pink self out.
5 gallons is good for a single betta right? long term?
Read on here somewhere "1.5-2 gall minimum" but that that's really kinda small.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #4 
TianTian

Mhmm, 5 gals should be good. :)

Good luck getting the tank!
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #5 
McAttack

1/5 or 1/4 of the tank sounds reasonable to me. good luck with this project!
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #6 
Kim

5 gallons is pretty much my minimum standard for one betta and it seems to work great. I can't wait to see pics!

I strongly recommend dividing it BEFORE setting it up and siliconing the divider right to the tank. I just pressure fitted mine, and it is a bit of a pain to make sure they don't move during water changes.

Also, once you get the heater set up you can always float the vase in the tank to give your betta heated water. You'll still need to do your regular water changes but at least he will be warm until you are ready to put him in. Have you read about cycling at all? That is probably the most important thing to keep in mind when setting up a larger tank that you plan to do partial rather than full water changes on. Good luck with the great deal :)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #7 
TribalKatFish

Picked up the tank today, it's beastly and grubby.

Went and got some live plants...was gonna list them but have already forgotten the names!!...it's been a LOOONG day.

Cleaning it, soaking it in the recommended 20:1 water/bleach mixture overnight for the leak test and to kill any ickies.

I have read up on the cycling, have the supplies (water additive/testing kit) and am terrified I will screw something up! How long should I cycle a 20 gallon tank, with rocks and live plants?