Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #1 
ladikara

decorations...

Do any of you know some good places to buy Betta tank decorations online? I am so frustrated because I want to purchase a rock of some sort that Bubbles can swim through and hide...but the ones I see at the local pet supply stores and walmart are HUGE! Just wondering if you know of any online shops.

Also, another silly questions. I went to Walmart today and they had river rocks in package. I have been reading about river rocks and how you need to clean them with hot water but not boil them. I was thinking maybe I could build a little hole for him to swim through by gluing 3 of these rocks together to form an arch. Just an idea..not sure how it will look. Can I use hot glue for this? Will hot glue stick under water? Will it cause any problems? Or is there some other kind of glue I should use?

Just curious! Thanks!
ladikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #2 
Tomsk

First of all check that the rocks dont have any sharp edges that would rip your Betta's fins.If they are ok,the safest thing to use on the rocks is aquarium silcone sealant which is available from most LFS.

Good luck on your archway!

Tomsk

Last edited by Tomsk; 05-25-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: crappy spelling
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #3 
crownie

I don't know a lot about glues sorry, but I do have something to say about those rocks! I bought those over a year ago, and make sure you clean them really really well. I wasn't as well informed about bettas back then as I am now, but after I put those rocks in, my betta got really sick and died. I didn't really clean them very well bc I didn't think anything of it. Just a warning for you though! Clean them really well! The cave sounds like a good idea though ;)
crownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:58 AM   #4 
metalbetta

When it came down to decorations for my fish, I didn't bother buying a whole lot, except for a ton of gravel and a plant. and a neat looking skull... and a diamond... a fake one of course.

I finally found an excuse to use the rock/shell collection I've had since I was a kid.

I SCRUBBED everything I put in there just to be safe (who knows what was on them) and made sure they were spotless before I let them anywhere near my tanks.

The result is a really neat place for my Nina to hide (crappy pic but you get my point) ((Also that small space w/ the divider is from when I first got her.. She has a ton more room now!))

a plate rock for winston to flare at, as well as a red shell for him to hide
behind,

and a ton of rocks and shells for my Tifa to do whatever with. I don't have a great pic of his tank yet, and I have some remodeling to do (I found a hole in his dorsal fin tonight because of those stupid plastic plants, so I took them out about 10 minutes ago.

just some ideas!

Last edited by metalbetta; 05-29-2010 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Had to add parentheses ;)
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:17 AM   #5 
lucyinthesky

I bought two fantastic (and cute) decorations for my betta, Mr Splashy, from an ebay shop.
Mr Splashy loves them and spends all day swimming in and out and resting in them... ( i swap them around each month)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200448966351
and
http://cgi.ebay.com/Squidward-Easter...item2ead3b0abf

I would recomend the seller, they were both cheap, lightweight and shipped really quickly. :) and there is a huge range of stuff including realistic rock, reef and coral peices with holes to swim through.

I wouldnt recommend a shell, in the past I put a shell in my fish tank, my fish swam in and couldnt get out...

Last edited by lucyinthesky; 05-29-2010 at 03:20 AM.
lucyinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:12 AM   #6 
metalbetta

As a long-time spongebob fan, I'd like to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE your tank! :)

Trust me, I've been watching the shell. She's a female, and tiny, the pic doesn't show it from the right angle but she has plenty of room. Considering putting a stopper or something in there so she can't get any farther than need be. If my males had a shell like she does I'd be concerned because of their size... and their uncanny ability to get stuck in the most impossible places. ... I didn't originally set Winston's red shell up as a hiding spot, but one day I found him in there, and he could get out with no problems! Definitely keeping a close eye on them though.

But again... Awesome tank!
Old 05-29-2010, 04:17 AM   #7 
lucyinthesky

thank you!! :)
i like making their homes fun.

yeah, the fish that got stuck in my tank was a zebra danio... i thought it had jumped out and the dog had eaten it!! haha untill i put my finger in the shell and found it :(

Mr splashy LOVES the pinapple too.. he usually likes to swim in one porthole, and stick his head out the other with his tail out one side and his head out the other.. so funny to watch.
lucyinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:34 AM   #8 
metalbetta

Aww. :(

But you're making me want to check out ebay and spend my paycheck on some fun new stuff for my fish! haha