Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2010, 03:08 AM   #1 
BettaMania

Unhappy My fish is acting unusual

I've never owned a Betta fish before, and was given one about a week ago as a gift. He's been pretty active until this last day or so. He seems lethargic and is just hovering at the top of his bowl. For a while he seemed to be gasping for air, but I moved his plant around and he seems a little better, although still hovering and not moving much. I'm worried that I haven't cared for him properly and he's going to die on me. I plan on switching him to a bigger tank as soon as I'm able to afford one. (Right now he's in a big glass vase with a plant growing out of it; the plant is being elevated by a piece of Styrofoam that's fitted into the neck of the vase.) Could it be that the styrofoam was cutting off his oxygen supply, or some of it might have crumbled into the water? The fish was given to me this way, by someone who's owned Betta fish in the past. Also I was unaware that the water temperature needed to stay warm, as nobody told me that. I'm just worried he's going to perish before I have a chance to change his living conditions!
BettaMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:20 AM   #2 
metalbetta

Get him out of that vase and into a proper tank!!!
I've heard too many horror stories about those vases!
I'm no expert by any means but I know for sure that the vase is a very bad idea, and you should talk to the previous owner about that.

I keep my big guy in a 1G tank with decorations and plenty of room to swim around. I keep seeing even larger tanks floating around on this forum, and I wish I could get all three of my bettas bigger tanks! I'm sure someone more experienced than myself can educate you in that area.

Definitely do your research on betta care asap! I recommend http://www.bettatalk.com ... it's where I learned everything I needed to know about caring for my fish.

I'm sure everyone on this forum, including myself, would be more than happy to help you out and offer some great advice on caring for your new boy!
Welcome, by the way. :)
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:28 AM   #3 
BettaMania

Thanks for the input. The person who gave him to me did suggest putting him in a different container, I just haven't gotten one yet. I will definitely do that ASAP. I have already grown fond of the new addition to the family, and do not want to lose him!
Old 05-29-2010, 03:32 AM   #4 
metalbetta

My tank was a little less than $10 at wal-mart. It comes complete with overhead light, filtering system, air stone and all of that fun stuff (Though I have no way to get that system set up at the moment). So if you need a quick, cheap solution, I'd recommend it! When it comes to other problems like his lethargy, etc., I'll leave that to the experts, I have yet to deal with a sick betta... *knock on wood*! :)
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:23 AM   #5 
BettaMania

He seems to have perked up quite a bit now, I'm thinking the styrofoam was effecting his oxygen intake, because once we moved it his attitude improved. Thanks again!