Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #1 
weluvbettas

sand or gravel?

in my tank should i have sand or gravel?
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #2 
Magzmoir

Ive just set up a 28L tank with a little of both, I suppose theres a few things you should think about, Gravel is easier to clean than sand and (I think) it gives a bigger surface area for good bacteria. Real plants ? some grow better in gravel than sand since sand can become quite compact and the roots suffer from rot. Sand imho looks a million times nicer than gravel. Its just your preferance I suppose gravel is less maintanence but sand is nicer looking and better for your fish remember bettas have long trailing fins that can snag and gravel can be sharp so get smooth rounded gravel in case your wanting to have cory's.

just my 2p :)
Magzmoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #3 
weluvbettas

thanks and im having a real plant in my tank . sand does sound nicer but if its harder to clean...ARRHHH ITS HARD TO DECIDE!! what do you think is better for my tank its a 1.5 gallon would it be easier to have sand?
Old 05-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #4 
Magzmoir

Well I say harder but its not too much more difficult all you do is syphon the debris off the top layer of sand make sure your about 1inch from the sand and using a circular motion to stir the debris up off the sand without taking too much sand with it (takes a little practice but its not hard once you get the idea) then using a fork or a chop stick after youve syphoned the waste away just run it through the sand. Make sure you go all the way to the bottom. The reason for this is that sometimes you get dead spots in the sand where theres no oxygen, the bacteria in the sand still grows but it uses an-aerobic respiration (resipre without oxygen) this produces some toxic gases which can be harmful to your fish. so stirring up the sand prevents this from happening :)

Basically it'd take you about the same amount of time to syphon, then add another 5 mins for turning the sand over and getting rid of any dead spots.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #5 
Betta Slave

Go with gravel. I've been keeping various fish for most of my life and I STILL have trouble with keeping sand clean. xD
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #6 
weluvbettas

I think i will have gravel because thats what i have had before
Old 05-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #7 
Betta Slave

Good choice. My bettas like it better, so yours will probably too. :)
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #8 
Magzmoir

Gravel still looks nice and will probably be better for your live plants too

Will be posting a piccie of the tank I just set up in my other thread in a wee while if you wanna see what Ive done there.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #9 
weluvbettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by magzmoir View Post
gravel still looks nice and will probably be better for your live plants too

will be posting a piccie of the tank i just set up in my other thread in a wee while if you wanna see what ive done there.
yes that will be great!!!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

I'd go with Eco complete if your getting plants.. it's awesome. It's sort of a happy medium between sand and gravel and looks really nice IMO. If you don't do that then sand is better for plants because the roots can travel easier. You can do a sand base and top it with gravel also.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote