Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #11 
Mitsufishi

The "bump'' on your betta is his belly! Those fins right behind it are known as the "anal"fins for obvious reasons. i had this same problem about 2 weeks ago! I had to fast him for almost 7 days until he pooped finally!
Mitsufishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #12 
Cyphus

^___^ Bettas are hardy creatures~ your lil guy will be ok!

You should be able to find 'frozen daphnia' with the other frozen foods for fishies!

I've always found it fascinating that all of a betta's organs are within the first 1/3rd of its body.... o.0 Contrary to belief, their digestive tract ends right between the two long fins under his chin.. XD Yep. That's his belly!
Cyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:50 AM   #13 
WendyT

4 days and I'm back.. Coming home after a 16 hour day, I find Louie had a very small poop; it's not much but it is some progress. Now, we have another problem. A bigger one. He has popeye. There is no question about this one - I've seen enough pictures of it.. I'm attaching one of him.

I've read different articles regarding this. Some say, clean water and it will go away; others say treat with antibiotics, etc. His water is very clean; He had a partial (75%) WC and yesterday, since he was not doing poor(er), I did a full water change. I also removed everything from his bowl. I have not fed him since Tuesday.. The bloating is still there.

Please, if someone has had experience with this, please help me! One guy talked of his betta having popeye so he would probably put him the freezer for a humane way of ethuanisia.. I don't even want to go there!

Thanks again for all of your advice and shoulders!
Attached Images

WendyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #14 
JamieTron

Pop eye is usually caused by an environmental problem or bacterial problem...

Environmental problem would be a build up of gases in the water normally nitrogen but not always. I would clean the water frequently and this should help the problem...if that does not work it could be bacterial. In that case I would search out a medication that treats pop eye...most times simply improving your water quality can get rid of the problem because most times it is not bacterial.

remember perhaps the pop eye could also be a symptom of a more severe problem, it is often seen with swollen abdomens as a sign of dropsy in which case it may or may not go away.

NEVER freeze your fish in the freezer for euthanization it is inhumane the blood crystalizes before it actually dies, imagine how painful that would be. I would not think of pop eye as something to euthanize a fish over it is normally quite treatable.

More humane euthanization would be to use a lethal dose of clove oil it is an approved method for anesthetizing fish. It has a similar effect as when vets put a cat or dog to sleep. But you should know how to properly euthanize something before you try imagine doing such a thing if you did it incorrectly, that isn't fair to the fish. I have experience with it through my studies but I would not recommend an inexperienced person to do so without proper research and instruction.

Hopefully his pop eye gets better

Last edited by JamieTron; 05-27-2010 at 05:56 PM.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #15 
WendyT

Is it bad that my sick betta is holding on?

Thanks Jamie. I makes me shudder to think of doing anything like to that to him. Every now and then he looks as if he is getting better, only to go back downhill the next day. He regained a good bit of color day before last; only to lose it the next day.
I fasted him for six days and he was getting skinny.. stomach still had a slight bulge, but he looked like he was wasting away. (Realistically I know that healthy Bettas can last longer than that, but...) He still hadn't pooped by that time, but I went ahead and fed him - one pellet.. the next day one a.m. and one p.m. I don't want to over feed at this point but I don't want him weak on top of everything else. Five days ago I started him on Maracyn 1, mainly for the popeye; his eyes have 'gone down' a little but not much. He's almost given up on swimming straight and floats on his side. He doesn't have pine coning (sp?) so I don't think it's dropsy.
But he's hanging in there.. Do you think that is a good thing??
WendyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #16 
JamieTron

It is good he is hanging in there, just keep pampering him and see what happens, hopefully it is something that will go away. The swimming does sound like swim bladder disease but I have never had a fish with it for that long a time hrrrm
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote