Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #1 
BettasRSweeties

Red Ramshorn Snails?

[I don't know anything about snails, but was wondering if the red ramshorn snails are compatible with betta fish? I'v read were people have them to keep the tank cleaner. You can buy them on Amazon, they are beautiful!! Is this a good idea to put one in the betta tank? I have a 2 gallon unfiltered set up. And would I need to purchase a specific snail food?
BettasRSweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #2 
shannonpwns

Yes you can keep ramshorns with bettas. I have pink ramshorns in most of my betta tanks. Sometimes the bettas eat them though. And they breed like crazy...two ramshorns will turn into hundreds in a matter of weeks. I have never fed mine in the betta tanks, they eat leftover food and stuff. The only snails I feed are the ones in my snail tank (mysteries and ramshorns), and I feed them cucumbers.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #3 
BettasRSweeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonpwns View Post
Yes you can keep ramshorns with bettas. I have pink ramshorns in most of my betta tanks. Sometimes the bettas eat them though. And they breed like crazy...two ramshorns will turn into hundreds in a matter of weeks. I have never fed mine in the betta tanks, they eat leftover food and stuff. The only snails I feed are the ones in my snail tank (mysteries and ramshorns), and I feed them cucumbers.
Yipes!! I'm not sure I can handle hundreds of snails(HAHA), how big a tank would I need for the snails alone? And what do you do when they multiply like that?
Old 02-16-2014, 11:38 PM   #4 
cowgirlsue1

Snails are easy keepers. Do you have plants or a cycled tank? Ramshorns are great for burrowing into the substrate. I agree with Shannon. There is never just 1 snail in the tank unless it's a nerite or an assassin. Just SOOOOO many snails. But they are easy to remove. They will eat plants, algae, cucumbers, zucchini. Safe from betta.
cowgirlsue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:57 PM   #5 
BettasRSweeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirlsue1 View Post
Snails are easy keepers. Do you have plants or a cycled tank? Ramshorns are great for burrowing into the substrate. I agree with Shannon. There is never just 1 snail in the tank unless it's a nerite or an assassin. Just SOOOOO many snails. But they are easy to remove. They will eat plants, algae, cucumbers, zucchini. Safe from betta.
Thanks, I would really like to get them.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:22 AM   #6 
PetMania

I always recommend snails as betta companions. Just to warn you, they are asexual and reproduce fast. If you are having a snail problem, there are a lot of ways to get rid of the babies :)
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:27 AM   #7 
shannonpwns

Well I keep my ramshorns, that I allow to breed, in a 5 gal. I have a bunch in my 2.5 gallons also, but my males snack on the tiny baby snails, so they don't get overpopulated. And when I start seeing a ton of babies in their tanks, sadly, I just wipe them off the glass with a tissue during WCs. Most of the baby snails hang out on the heaters in the tank for some reason, it's black so I see tons of white dots on them, and I just remove them when there's too many.

It's kind of a pain. But, if you get just ONE ramshorn, they are neat to watch grow. My first one came in on a plant and I watched him grow from a tiny speck into a big brown snail the size of a dime. And their shells are flat and tall, so they are pretty neat.

Another snail to consider is a mystery snail. They are pretty fun to watch. I have 7 of them, and I don't know where to put them, so they're in a 5 gal. They climb to the waterline, breathe, and then just let go and glide to the bottom of the tank, it's really comical lol.

Ramshorns, and mysteries poop a lot, so you would definitely need to do gravel cleaning during every water change, if you don't already.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:39 AM   #8 
BettasRSweeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonpwns View Post
Well I keep my ramshorns, that I allow to breed, in a 5 gal. I have a bunch in my 2.5 gallons also, but my males snack on the tiny baby snails, so they don't get overpopulated. And when I start seeing a ton of babies in their tanks, sadly, I just wipe them off the glass with a tissue during WCs. Most of the baby snails hang out on the heaters in the tank for some reason, it's black so I see tons of white dots on them, and I just remove them when there's too many.

It's kind of a pain. But, if you get just ONE ramshorn, they are neat to watch grow. My first one came in on a plant and I watched him grow from a tiny speck into a big brown snail the size of a dime. And their shells are flat and tall, so they are pretty neat.

Another snail to consider is a mystery snail. They are pretty fun to watch. I have 7 of them, and I don't know where to put them, so they're in a 5 gal. They climb to the waterline, breathe, and then just let go and glide to the bottom of the tank, it's really comical lol.

Ramshorns, and mysteries poop a lot, so you would definitely need to do gravel cleaning during every water change, if you don't already.
great info, I needed that.The crazy part is when you purchase them you get ten in an order. I'm gonna need major prep time.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #9 
BettasRSweeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetMania View Post
I always recommend snails as betta companions. Just to warn you, they are asexual and reproduce fast. If you are having a snail problem, there are a lot of ways to get rid of the babies :)
Good, cause I was getting on the discouraged side wondering what I would do with all these snails when they reproduce. Thank you!!!
Old 02-17-2014, 12:43 AM   #10 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettasRSweeties View Post
Good, cause I was getting on the discouraged side wondering what I would do with all these snails when they reproduce. Thank you!!!
No problem. Good luck :)
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote