Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #11 
Betta Slave

Alright, thanks. :) I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions... but I want to do everything right so Leela gets better. And sorry, but should I mash up the pellets as well or just mix them in?

Last edited by Betta Slave; 05-30-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

mix them in so the garlic sticks to the pellet and the juice can get in the food (microwaving helps with this).
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #13 
Betta Slave

Thanks. :) I'm really sorry I've been asking so many questions!
Old 05-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #14 
1fish2fish

LOL its okay.. we've all been there at one point. Just yesterday I asked Saylorkennedy about 500 questions on medicating for popeye LOL
Old 05-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #15 
Betta Slave

Lol. Thank you for helping me!
Update- I mooshed up a clove of garlic as well as I could and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds with 2 pellets. I tried to attach a piece of garlic to one of the pellets, but she spat it out until the piece of garlic was gone, then ate the pellet. She doesn't like the taste. So I put two more pellets in there for her without pieces of garlic on them (they were teeny, she could swallow them) and if she doesn't eat them within 5 minutes, I'll remove them... She has to eat them eventually, because that's all she'll be eating for the next 6 weeks! (Well, I hope she eats them...)

Edit- Yay! She ate 3 pellets soaked in garlic juice tonight. :D But the way her face looked when she swallowed them, you would think I poisoned her! She's giving me the cold shoulder now.

Last edited by Betta Slave; 05-30-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #16 
1fish2fish

Thats odd.. all mine love garlic/garlic juice. But then again.. I have fish that don't like frozen bloodworms.. crazy fish.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #17 
Betta Slave

Really? Lol. All mine LOVE frozen bloodworms.
ARGH I feel so bad asking all these questions, but...
I just chopped up a clove of garlic and mooshed it a bit and put some pellets in it, and put it in the microwave. Then I covered it with plastic wrap stuff (lol) and put it in the fridge for tomorrow morning. Will that be okay? And how long can the pellets be in the water before all the garlic juice goes out?
Old 05-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #18 
1fish2fish

It will be ok. My guys always snap their pellets right up.. I'm not really sure how long they can last before the garlic juice leeches out or even if it does.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #19 
Betta Slave

Alright, thanks so much! I'll shut up now... for tonight lol. I'll try not to ask as many questions, I think I'm just overreacting.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #20 
Oldfishlady

When a fish is flashing it can be a sign of external parasites, most external parasites are really hard to see with the naked eye and some are in the gill area and hard to see unless you remove the fish and do scraping to view under the microscope.
When a fish flashes and they tend to hit the gill area first on what ever they are flashing on it most likely is a gill related external parasite.
Aquarium salt 1tsp/gal up to 3tsp/gal can help with external parasites along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days.
Often it will take longer than 10 days to rid a fish of some types of external parasites with the natural treatment.
I will continue to use salt 10 day on and 5 days off-10 days on etc....for a total time of 6 weeks in some cases while I am feeding the garlic that will help both external and internal parasites for at least 6 weeks of 3 times a day feedings of fresh crushed raw (uncooked) garlic that has been mixed in the food.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote