Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #1 
Jooleeah

Thumbs down Is This Popeye? D:

I knew Raphael's eyes were big when i got him from the girl from kijiji. I hoped that he just had bulgy eyes and that it wasnt popeye. But now that its morning and the lights brighter in my room than ever, i have personally concluded that Raphael has popeye. His eyes are bigger than everyone else's are. Up close (and kinda in the first picture) you can see white rings around both his eyes from what i assume to be stretching.
(cell pics)

also (probably due to really bad tank conditions from his old house(or finrot)) his fins are pretty bad. How can i help grow them back? if i even can.
they look better in the picture but upclose theyre all like tornish and they just dont look very healthy :( Hes got the spots between his fins like this
and i want to see his fins all grown out and pretty :) and hes got a big body so his little fins look kinda silly xD
Jooleeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #2 
Jooleeah

forgot to ask if epsom salt will work. i have a huge bag of it sitting on my floor :P
Old 05-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Epson salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes is a good treatment, however, if he has had this problem for a while or it is really bad you may want to go with a broad spectrum antibiotic, I don't use them so I can't recommend any or its use.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #4 
Jooleeah

Okay thanks :)
Old 05-31-2010, 02:12 PM   #5 
52cherish

Question infection spreading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Epson salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes is a good treatment, however, if he has had this problem for a while or it is really bad you may want to go with a broad spectrum antibiotic, I don't use them so I can't recommend any or its use.
Can this also be used as a preventative for the whole tank if one of the fish got popeye? I found one of our females dead in the tank this morning. Looking at her and at the fish I quarantined 5 days ago. Both have/had protruding eyes. The others in the tank don't. Now I am afraid it might spread. Would a preventative 10 day course of Epsom salt to the tank be beneficial or harmful? Thank you.
52cherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:09 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52cherish View Post
Can this also be used as a preventative for the whole tank if one of the fish got popeye? I found one of our females dead in the tank this morning. Looking at her and at the fish I quarantined 5 days ago. Both have/had protruding eyes. The others in the tank don't. Now I am afraid it might spread. Would a preventative 10 day course of Epsom salt to the tank be beneficial or harmful? Thank you.
Popeye is usually bacterial in nature and related to poor water quality, the Epsom salt will help with the symptom by decreasing the swelling and have some effect on the bacteria.
Removing the cause is important by making daily water changes, depending on the size of tank and how much and how often the regular water change schedule is and nitrate level....will determine the water change percent that can be safely made.
In neglected tanks with high nitrates a large water changes can be deadly. If regular weekly water changes have been made and nitrate levels are less than 20ppm, I would start making 50% daily water changes, lower the water temp to 76F and add an air-stone, if the fish start to show signs of popeye then I would QT and treat with Epsom salt.
Anytime you have a death for unknown or known reasons it is a good idea to make a water changes....
Fresh clean dechlorinated water is the best preventive treatment IMO/E.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:14 PM   #7 
bettalover2033

well what you can do to grow back the fins from fin rot is get aquarium salt and put how ever much you need as it says on the carton:) that will help grow his fins back fast and way longer. he will be very pretty again and im sorry about the Popeye i dont know how to treat that:( im sorry i hope he gets better soon:)!!!!
Bettalover
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:16 PM   #8 
Jooleeah

Thanks everyone. ill get started on treatment for raphael tonight :D
Old 05-31-2010, 05:01 PM   #9 
bettalover2033

good to hear that and i hope he gets ('beta') soon lol i love Doing that
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:11 PM   #10 
Jooleeah