Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2010, 02:14 PM   #1 
kimotion

Keeps biting off his tail when seeing another Betta

Hello,

I currently have 2 betta fish (Loki and Imugi) in 2 separate .5 gallon bows. I know, I know....they will be in a divided 5 gallon tank starting next weekend, filtered and everything.

Since I plan on creating a divider out of bamboo poles and a plastic mesh in the center for some view, I figured I try to get them to see each other bit by bit to get get used to their new divided tank home. I placed the current bowls next to each other with a plastic cardboard blocking all but a small view. They seemed to flare at each other but did so sparingly. I did this for a few days just to get them used to seeing each other.

Last night I removed the cardboard since they didn't seem to go all crazy anymore even with full view of each other. But when I woke up this morning, about HALF of Imugi's tail is gone! He's a VT, and used to have very long beautiful shiny blue tail and now it looks like it's all been ripped, as if Loki jumped into his bowl .5 feet away, bit him up and jumped back into his own bowl. There are no holes in the center...all the damage is at the ends of his tail and I can see the fins still sticking out but with much of the skin between the fins gone. It's like he wants to be a crowntail LOL!

Anyway, I placed the cardboard back since I figured he's been biting his own tail during flaring. The other one is fine...nothing unusual and building bubble nests. Imugi's behavior hasn't changed either, still eating normally and building a rival bubble nest as if he's competing with Loki on who can build a bigger bubble nest.

Is it highly unusual for a betta to bite of his own tail when flaring for too long? I'm rethinking the design of my future 5 gallon tank divider so that it will have no view whatsoever. I want his tail to grow back, if ever.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice! Rebukes and scoldings are welcome as well :)
kimotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Bettas will bite their tails when they're upset or nervous about something. It's like when we bite our fingernails...it's a nervous habit. I've had one that wouldn't stop biting his tail until I removed him from the view of the other fish. So when making the divider, I'd completely cover it so they can't see each other or he'll just keep biting his tail.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:52 PM   #3 
kimotion

Thanks for the reply! There's some white blue stuff growing where the "skins" of the fins used to be. I'm really hoping it's the beginning stages of regrowth!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

You're welcome. :) New fins growing in will look whitish, transparentish.lol I hope it's regrowth too! I had a REALLY bad biter who would wait until his tail grew out, than he'd bite it again...I was SO frustrated with him.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:32 PM   #5 
kimotion

OK, so this time i actually caught him biting his own tail. He was swimming in circles and by now it's so short that he can't bite any. His tail used to be over twice the size of his body but not it's half of the original length. I had him for 6 weeks and this is the first he's been acting like this. And he cannot view the other betta so that can't be the reason anymore. I have no idea what to do ...