Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #11 
TheBettaNewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
No worries, I usually don't pay much attention to people's usernames so I didn't even think to check yours until after you replied! We love newbies around here, so feel free to ask as many questions as you want. :3

I think one or two shrimp per side would be fine, some people cut holes into the bottom of their dividers for them to go from one side to the other but I don't know what sizes you'd need. They're sensitive to water conditions, so you'll need to make sure you stay on top of water changes.

And yes, you only need one heater and filter for the tank. What you might want to do is get two dividers instead of one so you can have a little "no man's land" section in the middle, and put the heater and filter there. That way both sides get even heat and water flow. Plus, if one of your bettas gets through the divider by mistake there is still the second divider keeping her from getting into the other section and potentially fighting.
Thing is the hole in the cover is in the far right so I can't really do that :/ I will put the heater in the middle though they have been together for 9 months no problems, I know I was very lucky but that seems very unusual

Edit: the filter has almost 0 flow I have a plant blocking the blunt of it, and will the ghost shrimp over populate or will bettas eat the larvae? The last one I have is would a pet store one be best I am willing to spend a little for quality vs. me doing a bad job and something happening.

Last edited by TheBettaNewb; 02-17-2014 at 07:49 PM.
TheBettaNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

I would personally divide the tank based on my past experiences. Bettas can be highly unpredictable fish and there aren't always obvious warning signs that things are going wrong. Females can be every bit as vicious as the males and are perfectly capable of killing a fellow female.

However, it's ultimately your decision. You know your fish best and there are some people who are successful with unconventional set-ups. It just comes down to managing the risk and being aware that your fish may not always get along without issue.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #13 
Rana

It should be fine with the filter on just one side then, if you notice the water getting scummy on the other side then you might want to add in an airstone just to break it up. It's not harmful, just looks kinda ugly. So long as the water is circulating through the tank it's fine, which any decent filter shouldn't have a problem with. Do add a sponge onto the intake if you get shrimp, I'm pretty sure they can get sucked up if it's not covered!

Once your girls are on their own they'll probably become more territorial, since their side will be their safe space- and bettas tend to become more territorial the older they get. So even if they're fine now, they might not be in the future if they accidentally get into each other's side. I didn't have any trouble with the dividers I made and siliconed into place, the temporary ones I made weren't the right size so they were more finicky. If you feel more comfortable with the store-bought ones then go for it.

As far as I know the shrimp will either get eaten, or won't find enough food and so any young won't survive long anyway. I don't think I've heard of shrimps overrunning a tank but I could be wrong. Of course your bettas might decide to snack on the adults too, but a lot of people have had good luck. I've never had any shrimp of my own, so someone else might be of more help.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #14 
TheBettaNewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
It should be fine with the filter on just one side then, if you notice the water getting scummy on the other side then you might want to add in an airstone just to break it up. It's not harmful, just looks kinda ugly. So long as the water is circulating through the tank it's fine, which any decent filter shouldn't have a problem with. Do add a sponge onto the intake if you get shrimp, I'm pretty sure they can get sucked up if it's not covered!.
What do you mean add a sponge :P, and I have decided to divide the tank.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #15 
Rana

I'm assuming your filter is the kind that hangs off the tank, with a tube that sucks up the water? Sometimes shrimp (and tiny fish like guppy fry) get sucked up against it and even pulled into the filter. So you want a piece of aquarium sponge, I believe Fluval makes one just for intakes, that you can put over the end of the tube to keep them from getting sucked in. You can also use an empty filter insert bag, if you have one- it just looks a little messier.

Here's a link to the sponges I'm talking about- they fit most filters and can usually be found in pet stores.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:47 AM   #16 
TheBettaNewb

I have seen those before thx I will do all this friday i don't have time any earlier
Old 02-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #17 
TheBettaNewb

At 9 months would my bettas be considered adults?