Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #1 
Fin Fancier

Betta and golden danios

I've sort of fallen in love with golden danios as of late, and I'd really like to add a small group to one of my current set ups. I have a twenty gallon long tank that currently only has 2 female bettas (one is in a breeders net). Obviously this tank has room for some more fish. Just wondering if anyone has tried this combo before? Danios are fast so I think they could avoid the betta if she tried to annoy them, and I'm sure 6 golden danios would be more than happy in a 20 long, the only thing that worries me is their color, but zebra danios are nowhere near as pretty. Thoughts?
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Generally I don't suggest danios or minnows of any sort with Bettas because of their temperature requirements which are quite different. They can go up to 80 degree's but they prefer waters around 70 degree's which is a whole 10 degrees difference from Bettas. Bettas would not be happy nor healthy if you lowered it to 70 and danios will be much more active if you kept it around 80; this isn't good news for them though. The higher the temperature (this goes for all fish) the harder their metabolism works which means they will be much more hungry than normal and they will ultimately die and early death. I don't mean like in a few months or so but they won't live as long as they are supposed to.

Also with their activity, this can stress out your Bettas. I would be more worried that they would pick on her rather than her pick on them honestly. But the decision is ultimately up to you.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:34 AM   #3 
Fin Fancier

I had thought danios because, to my knowledge, they were among the peaceful community fish group. I was unaware that, like the minnows, they preferred cooler water temperatures. Well that checks them off my potential fancy list. I don't have any place to move the girls to so I could alter the temperature; they seem pretty happy right at 80 degrees. I just don't know what else to add, bloodfin tetras might fit the bill, but my ph is high about (8.0) and I'm pretty sure tetras like a more neutral to acidic if I remember correctly.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin Fancier View Post
I had thought danios because, to my knowledge, they were among the peaceful community fish group. I was unaware that, like the minnows, they preferred cooler water temperatures. Well that checks them off my potential fancy list. I don't have any place to move the girls to so I could alter the temperature; they seem pretty happy right at 80 degrees. I just don't know what else to add, bloodfin tetras might fit the bill, but my ph is high about (8.0) and I'm pretty sure tetras like a more neutral to acidic if I remember correctly.
Danios are generally peaceful, it is just that they are rambunctious in their swimming and activities. They are just too active for Bettas. I mean, you can try it out and see what happens but just keep that info in the back of your mind is all and keep lots of plants for your girls to hide out in and feel more comfortable. They may not actually hide, but the more plants the more they will feel comfortable and swim about. This isn't particularly a concern with Bettas since they are such outgoing fish, but combining them with the danios, it may help is all.

Most Tetras are a bit nippy, Neons and Cardinals will be fine. Rasboras will work out very well too. Dime shaped Tetras you should steer clear from since they are much more nippy towards other fish and occasionally themselves. Keep away from barbs of course. You could also get Green Fire Neon Tetras, similar to Neons except they have much more blue/green than red where neons are in the middle and then Cardinals have more red than blue
Old 02-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #5 
Flint

I have some Red Phantom Tetras in with my male betta and he's the one nipping them. Something to consider.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #6 
Fin Fancier

Thanks. I'll take a closer look at rasboras, maybe. Why do bettas have to be such stinkers about sharing?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:19 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin Fancier View Post
Thanks. I'll take a closer look at rasboras, maybe. Why do bettas have to be such stinkers about sharing?
I know!!! They're like little toddlers that throw a temper tantrum anytime someone else plays with their toys or uses their things lol.