Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2014, 11:48 PM   #1 
Alyssum

How do I introduce cories into my betta's tank?

So I have a 10 gallon tank and I've read that albino cories can live with bettas. I know it depends on personality and I'm prepared to take them back if need be. I just don't want to make him upset or stressed out.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to introduce new fish into a betta's tank? I realize he's probably established the tank as his territory. If I do end up putting them in, how will I know if he is stressed?

Is putting a divider a good idea temporarily until they get accustomed to each other? I've heard of all kinds of ideas and we wanted to get some tomorrow or Thursday (if they have them in stock).

I know the other fish should have come first and then the betta, but he was an unexpected purchase and we just bought everything at like 11 PM in the store for him.
I don't have an adjustable heater and the box says it's supposed to keep it at 78 degrees, but my thermometer looks more like 80 degrees, I don't know how accurate it is. I know that's a bit on the warm side for cories, will it be a problem?

Anyway, here's what my tank looks like:

Any suggestions or pointers would be great. Thanks.
Alyssum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:02 AM   #2 
Fishybitty

I think the divider is a great idea, to see how he reacts.

Maybe also a breeder to hang on the side and put your male in that while the cories and getting use the surroundings. Just to feel your little guy out.

As far as the temp, I'm not really sure. My community aquarium is on the cooler side.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:19 AM   #3 
Alyssum

Might try one of those breeder tanks. Only thing is he has a problem with biting his own tail. He did it again today so I don't know if it's safe to add cories now. :( I explained more in the betta emergencies section. Sigh. Does anyone have any experience with adding tank mates and fin biting? Is my betta at risk for infection if I add new fish with a freshly bitten fin?
Old 02-12-2014, 06:54 AM   #4 
jaysee
Reference Team

The Corys really need a larger tank than a 10. I would get shrimp instead.

To answer your question though, I think you're making too big a deal out of it. Just acclimate the fish like normal and throw them in.
jaysee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #5 
Sathori

I took the betta out of tank (since he was in there first) then put my corys and neons in the tank for about 10 mins. I then put the betta back in. He nibbled at the corys, but after a good stare from one of the corys, he left them alone. After that they started hanging out and "sharing" the sinking wafers.
Sathori is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:21 AM   #6 
Alyssum

Yeah I guess I am over thinking things I know the albinos will grow pretty big and would need a larger tank at some point. Anyone have any idea why AqAdvisor says albino cories are not compatible with bettas but pandas and peppered etc. are? Would smaller cory species be better?

Thanks for the advice.

Won't be getting them this week because petsmart still has not received a shipment after 3 weeks, so we might change our mind.

Sathori: Yeah, we'd probably end up doing that if we did get some. Hopefully it'd work out like yours did
Old 02-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

Because aqadvisor is not perfect

Corys are Corys - not much variance in temperament.
jaysee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #8 
SeaCity

Julii Cory Cat

I have a Julii Cory Cat, Watson. My female betta, Swish, loves him. I put a second female betta in with them for a short time and she chewed on Swish's fins but didn't bother Watson at all. Maybe since he's a bottom feeder he is not seen as a threat.
Attached Images

SeaCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:04 AM   #9 
n25philly

Get pygmy or Hasbrosus cories, they barely get over an inch in length so they can be kept in a 10 gallon. I have 8 Hasbrosus in mine
n25philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #10 
Fishybitty

I have 4 albinos and one peppered. My peppered cory kind of does his own thing but usually he is will stay with the group.

Two of my albinos are big.. but then two are little. They are like the same size when I first got them.

I love them though they are so cute!
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote