Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2014, 02:08 AM   #1 
Traceuse24

Arrow ADF tank mate for betta

So I recently got a new tank mate for one of my bettas named Zeus. He is the only betta with the temperament to have tank mates. I thought I would give him a sturdier friend seeing as his ghost shrimp keep dying of old age (He's only had 2 and every time one would pass he would get pretty sad and lethargic in his absence)
I got him an African Dwarf Frog, however much like my first betta, this frog was also an impulse buy. I am hoping I can get some tips on taking care of this frog. I've introduced her to the tank and Zeus, beside a very gentle (and I do mean gentle, "boop I touched your nose" pat on its head), Zeus really loves his new friend, so I want to make sure the frog is alright.

Zeus is in a divided 10 gallon tank, cycled, Heated, and "semi planted"... It has a lot of live plants but they are planted onto driftwood and rocks because I have an under gravel filter. Zeus has 6 gallons to play and share, while his neighbor Mercury (female crowntail) has about 4 gallons.

No ammonia, no nitrates or nitrites. I just need tips on what a healthy ADF looks like. Here are some pics of mine... I know that it is a girl, her name is Leto.
Attached Images

Traceuse24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #2 
Kiara1125

Adorable! I've always wanted ADFs, but since my boyfriend has already had a couple, he doesn't want any more. So, now, I don't get to experience them. Oh well ... I guess I'll just enjoy them from afar.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #3 
Valentino14

I had two for a while, never had the guts to put em with my batta though! lol I just gave mine to my sister so I would have room for both my bettas
Valentino14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #4 
jaysee
Reference Team

One thing about the frogs are their eyesight - poor. To overcome this you can feed in the same spot every time. They will learn to go there to eat. Of kept with gravel rather than sand, use some kind of a dish to prevent the food from falling out of reach. You can also tap the tank when it's feeding time if there isn't already an audial cue that it's feeding time.

Mine eats NLS pellets along with the betta. I know a lot of people feed frog specific food - it can be difficult to make sure that frog eats frog food and fish eats fish food. Not impossible though, not at all. Just requires extra work.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #5 
meganlbetta

My mom has one. Their eyesight was already stated as well as feeding. Since they breathe from the surface, make sure the depth is no more than 18inches so they can reach the surface. Other than that, they are quite hardy too :)
meganlbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:18 PM   #6 
Valentino14

If you have more than one, just make sure both get equal amounts of food... one may appear way fatter than the other- it's their form of dominance. My boyfriend's dad's frog got sick and died because his tank mate kept eating all of the food... then he got sad when his friend wasn't there anymore!
Old 02-18-2014, 11:24 PM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

It's entirely likely that the reason it couldn't compete for food is because it was sick.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #8 
Valentino14

No, it was the first one in there and was healthy for years. but the bigger frog would bite and bully the little one until he swam away from the food. They tried a bunch of things but in the end it didn't matter. One of my frogs was always a little skinnier than the other, not nearly as drastic as my bf's dad.
It's natural but you just have to watch for it
Old 02-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #9 
Gizmothefreaky

Hi there! I run a thread here on the care of ADFs. You are doing great so far, plenty of room. I would recommend a dish for feeding, as others have said, and to teach the frog when it is time to feed. Just click on the link in my sig to read more! :)
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:14 AM   #10 
Traceuse24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmothefreaky View Post
Hi there! I run a thread here on the care of ADFs. You are doing great so far, plenty of room. I would recommend a dish for feeding, as others have said, and to teach the frog when it is time to feed. Just click on the link in my sig to read more! :)
When I first got her I didn't have money to do get her a bowl. Now she has one. I've buried the edges so she has an easier time climbing into it. I also was only feeding her bloodworms for a little while (it was all I had) now I have garannums I think that's how that's spelled, froggy food that she likes, beef heart, bloodworms of course and brine shrimp. I'm just trying to train my betta to not eat from her bowl, which surprisingly is going well because she herself will tackle him if he tries to get near her food so he then tends to look at her from underneath his driftwood bridge waiting for her to finish so he can eat her leftovers... ( which is nothing). Their personalities seem to click. He's a scardy betta and she's a pretty chill frog unless he tries to take her food.
I have him in a divided tank and my female Betta can see my ADF and tries to nip at her because she's curious so Zeus begins to flare at her and scares her off so the frog can swim in peace. I've also found him swimming under her when she's in "zen" pose doing a minor split between leafs. They are pretty cute together but they give each other plenty of space.
I definitely think she was a good match for Zeus :).
Traceuse24 is offline   Reply With Quote