Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #1 
LightsYouOnFire

Tank temperature really high....

So my house has been HOT lately. Stupid Wisconsin, -20 in the winter, 90+ in the summer. *grumble grumble*

One of my CT's died yesterday, and I'm perplexed as to why. I have always done water changes (it's a 5gal) 2x a week with a thorough gravel vacuuming. I always carefully monitor my water specs. He was happy and healthy until two days ago. He was totally clamped up, lost a lot of color, so I put him in the hospital tank and this morning he was dead.

The only thing I can think of, is that the tank temperature was too high. My tank thermometer goes up to 86 degrees, and it is higher than that. For the time being, I keep the light off as much as I can and the heater is set much lower, but it is still just HOT in my house. I don't have central air.

Could this have caused Admiral Fishstick's untimely death? What is the temperature threshold for bettas?
LightsYouOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #2 
jeanclaudeasher

Sorry to hear that you lost one of your bettas, I recently lost one of my CT's to dropsy. I am not sure exactly why your betta died, however I live in Ohio which has similar weather conditions. Once we start hitting 80+ on a daily basis I either unplug my heaters or remove them from the tanks entirely. Even with air conditioning and a ceiling fan all of my tanks (a 10 gallon and 2 2gallons) remain at or above 78 even at night (they are upstairs in my bedroom). I do have to keep an eye on the weather though because once temperatures start dropping below 80 in the fall I have to put the heaters back into the tanks.
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #3 
smallvle

someone on here suggested putting ice cubes in ziplock bags and floating them in the water to cool the tank off. that might help a little. plus, i guess, just try to keep it in the shadiest spot you can without locking it in a closet or something. : ) it'd be nice if someone invented a heater that REALLY regulated the temp without costing a million bucks! (like cool it down AND heat it up.)
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #4 
jeanclaudeasher

Hmmm I had not thought of the ice cubes in a bag. That would work to cool the tank off however you would want to make sure that the bag does not leak or else condition the water before you make it into ice cubes just to be safe (I might try that this summer if my tanks get too warm). =)
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:13 PM   #5 
bookprincess

This has been my problem with my newly acquired betta (that I got last night... impulse buys are rather shocking once you start to think about just what you've done)... the water has a tendency to heat up too quickly in my apartment, and I'm trying my best to keep Bubbles (my betta) from overheating and dying while I'm not looking. I was afraid of using the ice cube technique because my mother used the same technique on our goldfish (back when we had them) but goldfish like a colder temperature than betta which is why I was concerned about doing this! I just got Bubbles, I don't want to kill him!

He seems a lot happier in his bigger tank, though. I woke up this morning to a bubble nest!...

Is it safe to keep him in my room when the AC is on, though? I don't want to make it too cold but I also don't want him to be hot, since my apartment heats up really quickly since it's all the way on the top floor.
bookprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

You can also get one of the battery operated small fans and attach it to the tank and let the air flow across the top of the water to help with cooling.

I have seen these little fans at walmart that you hang around your neck and some with clamps to use in the car or when walking etc......these would work great for small tanks......
I unplug all my heaters in the summer until I do turn on my AC in June usually....I have had my small tanks reach 98F........however, what is odd...the cups with grow-out juvie Bettas in my china cabinet never got over 80F.........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:05 PM   #7 
ashitaka6

Cool water in the cup your betta comes in then float it in the tank. Use this method for anything under 5 Gal. 10 Gal+ Freeze water bottle and place it in tank. Watch temp to make sure it doesn't get too cold.

That's what I do for my tanks ^.^. (The floating cold water in cup as I have 2.5 Gals) Dragonfish told me about the freezing water bottle for bigger tanks. Breeders use this method as well ^.^.
ashitaka6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:22 PM   #8 
bookprincess

So, the highest temperature they can go up to is 80*F without causing too much of a bad shock? The water I had him in went all the way to 83*F and my sister freaked out so I wanted to make sure that nothing happened to him. The thermometer I use has this green part that says 'Safe Zone' on it and every time that it goes above that safe zone my sister is screaming about how Bubbles is dying... or when he's all the way at the bottom of the tank.

We were both reading the FAQ two days ago and impulsively bought a betta... we're planning on getting a 10-gallon tank so that we can have more; but if I can't keep the temperature at a reasonable number for a small tank how are we going to do that for a bigger tank?

The ice cube in a ziploc bag did help, though. Bubbles kept nipping at the bag, which I guess is better than having him nip at the thermometer so that it always falls to the bottom of the tank.
bookprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #9 
Mister Sparkle

83-degrees is a fine temp for a betta. Over 85 is when you might worry a little.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:08 PM   #10 
McAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookprincess View Post
So, the highest temperature they can go up to is 80*F without causing too much of a bad shock? The water I had him in went all the way to 83*F and my sister freaked out so I wanted to make sure that nothing happened to him. The thermometer I use has this green part that says 'Safe Zone' on it and every time that it goes above that safe zone my sister is screaming about how Bubbles is dying... or when he's all the way at the bottom of the tank.

We were both reading the FAQ two days ago and impulsively bought a betta... we're planning on getting a 10-gallon tank so that we can have more; but if I can't keep the temperature at a reasonable number for a small tank how are we going to do that for a bigger tank?

The ice cube in a ziploc bag did help, though. Bubbles kept nipping at the bag, which I guess is better than having him nip at the thermometer so that it always falls to the bottom of the tank.
With the 10 gal, are you going to use a filter? Cause if you are, and it's a canister filter, you can put the whole canister in an ice bucket. It'll bring down the temp of the water running through it. i haven't done it myself, just saw it on an FAQ somewhere.
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote