Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2014, 05:14 AM   #21 
eatmice2010

Ya I went around and read a bunch of Bios on them. But if anything the most problem I'm having is that my girl is nipping and chasing the algae eater.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #22 
n25philly

Good to hear you are researching, so I guess you're prepared for when the algae eater starts getting aggressive
n25philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #23 
eatmice2010

Yes, he's about 2cm, and I wish he would stand his ground with my girl, she is such a but head, he never gets any rest with her. I literally have to put her in time out because she HATES him. But ya I'm prepared with him, I just want him to eat the algae (if she lets him) until he gets 3in or before then I'm going to give him to my friend for his 50g NPT. Right know I'm just trying to get a lot of algea eaters and waste cleaners, any ideas?
Old 02-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #24 
n25philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmice2010 View Post
Yes, he's about 2cm, and I wish he would stand his ground with my girl, she is such a but head, he never gets any rest with her. I literally have to put her in time out because she HATES him. But ya I'm prepared with him, I just want him to eat the algae (if she lets him) until he gets 3in or before then I'm going to give him to my friend for his 50g NPT. Right know I'm just trying to get a lot of algea eaters and waste cleaners, any ideas?

The thing with Chinese algae eaters is that they don't really like to eat algae and when they get older they likely won't even tough the stuff. They have more of a taste for the slime coats on other fish which is very bad for them if he gets to them.

Do you have an algae problem? There are a number of different options that are good for cleanup. I'm just going to suggest what I'm familiar with. Shrimp can be good cleaners but depending on what kind you get you might need a lot to get much done. Amanos are the best algae eaters and can't breed in freshwater. RCS are good breeders, are smaller than Amanos and have almost no bioload but you would need a decent colony if you get a lot of algae.

I've never been the biggest fan of the suckermouth catfish but I do have an Oto in my 20 gallon npt. I didn't really plan on him but when I got my powerful light I set my timer up wrong and ended up with it running 24/7 for 4 days and had a huge algae outbreak. He's done a good job and has made the tank viewable again but the algae still grows faster than her can eat it and that is pretty much all he does. They are one of the best algae eater options out there if not the best, but you have to be careful as most are wild caught and starving at the store so if you aren't careful on what you get they can be delicate during acclimation. If they are still alive after a few days though they will likely be fine as long as there is algae/blanched vegetables for them to eat.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #25 
eatmice2010

Yes I have tons of algae, had two pond snails which died, few weeks went by and know it's a gleen landscape, so I got 20 pond snails to replace the others, but with in the first night my betta whipped them all out -.-
I've had cherry shrimp when I set up my 10g. What do you think of ghost shrimp.
I'm deff. Getting an Oto.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:10 PM   #26 
n25philly

Well, like I said I am going by what I know and I've never owned ghost shrimp. If you are getting that much algae, perhaps it might be better to see if we can cut down on the cause then just throwing in algae eaters (not to say there is anything wrong with algae eaters)

What kind of algae are you getting? What kind of light to you run and for how long? What is the ph reading for your tank? Does your water ever get a greenish hue to it?
Old 02-18-2014, 08:57 PM   #27 
eatmice2010

It's green and flowy..... I asume normal tank algae. My light is a grow bulb 115 vac. 60Hz 26W. It's on a light setting that it gets 12 hours of light. PH: 6.6-6.8 (but I did just feed them an hour ago). No the water doesn't have a green hue.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #28 
BluFish

Cory cats are perfect for betta! I have a 30G community with 3 girls and 10 Cory cats along with some other fish, and they get along just fine!
Peppered cost cats are fairly small, so they would do well in a 10 gallon in a group of probably 4 or 5.
Mine eat the flakes that float down along with algae wafers and veggies.
BluFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #29 
JDragon

I have personally found cories to be good tankmates. I have 4 in one of my ten gallons as my husband's betta does not like them. They've even (unsuccessfully)spawned twice in the tank. They seem to be a lot cleaner than plecos in my experience... But maybe that's just me.
I feed them algae wafers and peas(leftover from bettas)
JDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #30 
n25philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmice2010 View Post
It's green and flowy..... I asume normal tank algae. My light is a grow bulb 115 vac. 60Hz 26W. It's on a light setting that it gets 12 hours of light. PH: 6.6-6.8 (but I did just feed them an hour ago). No the water doesn't have a green hue.
Doesn't sound too bad actually, you should see my 20 gallon. Sounds like you have green hair algae. Here are some suggestions I found, I don't know you're tank so it's up to you to figure out which apply and which don't.

1) There are excess nutrients in the water, either nitrates or phosphates.

2) It's more likely to grow in areas with low water flow, so more waterflow might help

3) an inbalance between light and co2. Maybe try lowering your lights to 10 hrs and see if it helps.

4) Green hair algae apparently is prominent with excess iron in the water, so check to make sure your water source isn't iron heavy

5) Sounds like American Flagfish and Amano shrimp are the best choices for livestock that eat that type of algae. From what I've heard the flagfish can get aggressive if they aren't kept well fed, but the Amano shrimp might be a good choice as they can't reproduce in freshwater.