Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

I use a 10g tank full to the top with water to spawn in, water temp 80F, heavy planted, both rooted and floating, I use either water lettuce or a sword plant leaf for the nest.
I have the planned breeders in separate container so they can't see each other while conditioning for at least 2 weeks, they are feed my homemade food, mosquito larva, guppy fry, chopped red worms.
I place both Bettas in the spawning tank at the same time and I will have spawning within 2 hours to 3 days.
As long as I have plenty of plants for the female to get away from the male to rest and hide, I will have very little if any damage to her.
I remove the female once she leaves the nest area after spawning
I remove the male once the fry are free swimming
I use pond, ramshorn, trumpet snail, plants and aged tank to help produce infusoria for first fry food
I start doing daily 50% water changes once I start adding live food to the tank, usually about 2-3 days after the fry are free swimming
I place plastic veggie wrap over the top of the tank usually right after I remove the male but at least by week 2-3 before their labyrinth organ starts to develop, it is important to have the air above the water warm and humid for their first breath to prevent swim bladder problems
As the fry grow I will start to separate them to other tanks for grow-out keeping the big ones together, smaller ones together etc....I use tanks from 10g to 75g for grow out.

Lots of different ways to spawn this species.........it is finding what works best for you and your set-up and breeders....good luck...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:33 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

• What is a good tank size to breed in? The standard is 10 gallons filled halfway.
  • Can the breeding tank be the grow out tank for babies? Yes if the tank is 20+ gallons
  • Is Java moss a good plant for babies, anything else I could use? Java moss, hornwort, naja grass, java fern, basically anything that doesn't need to be planted, floating plants are best IMO
  • What could I use to encourage the male to make a bubble nest? styrofoam cup cut in half, a plastic lid to something, indian almond leave
  • What is a good item to put the female in? Hurricane glass, large pickle jar (which is what I'll be using), even dividing the tank.. but you need to be certain that the female cannot escape to the male's side and vise versa
  • What type of filter it good? DIY sponge filter with a gang valve so you can adjust it
  • How do I do water changes? Wait until about 1-2 weeks then siphon the water using airline tubing and chopsticks (DIY gravel vac). Take a flash light to the bucket to check for any babies and net them with a brine shrimp net and return them to the tank. Fill the tank back as slowly as possible with water of the same temp. Get a turkey baster (or 2.. its best to have one for food as well) to use for daily spot checks removing uneaten food and waste
  • Is a adjustable heater good for babies? yes
  • What food is best? That's a matter of opinion. Read the article on feeding fry on bettysplendens site for good suggestions.
  • How many separating containers do I need for males on average? depends on spawn size but I would have at least 20 to start out with, remember some females will have to be separated also
  • What are some ways to cull deformed Betta babies? Feeding to other fish, or clove oil.. those seem to be the most humane methods
  • Is it better to buy a pair online? Buy a male for my female? Buy a female for one of my males? Buy a pair from a breeder, sibling if possible, this will help better ensure you will get the traits you are looking for. Don't breed pet store fish!
  • What do I do if I want spade tails, my favorite? Tanya is spade tail, what are my chances? You would probably need a spade tail m/f pair from lines throwing lots of spades.. again don't breed pet store fish!
  • When do I take the male out? About 2-3 days, once the fry are free swimming, or if you see the male start to eat the fry.
I didn't read the other posts so I probably repeated some stuff.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:12 PM   #13 
TheJadeBetta

Okay thank you both! I will get a pair I like online.

Edit: So it is fine to breed to their siblings?

Last edited by TheJadeBetta; 05-31-2010 at 05:16 PM.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:18 PM   #14 
1fish2fish

Yes, its actually encouraged if your looking for a specific look.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:52 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

That is what I do, working on a color line right now...so... brother-sister-mother-son-father daughter
Old 05-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #16 
1fish2fish

I did read somewhere that after about 3 generations or so its probably a good idea to mix a little new blood into the line. Or was it 5 or 6 generations? I can't remember.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:55 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

I never go past 4 myself.....
Old 05-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #18 
TheJadeBetta

Oh okay.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #19 
TheJadeBetta

I think I want to breed Plakats.