Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2010, 08:34 PM   #1 
Nelvea

Behavior changed? Is all normal?

Hello...I noticed that my betta behavior changed for the past 2 days.
I got him since the 25 may... He use to swim very hapilly across the tank, up and down, etc...

But the behavior changed yesterday. First, when I would look at the tank I would notice he would be in a plant or somewhere in a corner studying stuffs. Not swiming so much as usual. ???

He also trash his head left and right sometimes and suddenly make swift trashing moves that last for two seconds, or make a sudden quick 'U-turn' wich dosen't seem that 'normal' for me... tho I'm still kind of new in the hobby.

The only change I can see are the temp...it use to always be 82, really hot in the room and now its more fresh, water temp 79..sometimes dropping to 75 in the night. Apart from that, I bought a small Oto today... it's mind its own business and clean the tank and eat algaes...

So in all and all, I prefer to worry a bit too much then not worrying a lot.
And that's why I wrote this here to get your opinions guys, thanks a lot.
Nelvea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, filtration used if any, additives used if any, live plants.....?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #3 
Nelvea

Thanks for the reply, my tank is a 5 gal., I got an active filter all time, all live plants except a fake 'coral' decorative...

I changed the water recently, removed 10% of water, added tap water for beta product thingy, biological aquarium suplement and now betta seem better for the last hours. Yay!!
Old 06-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

IMO a 5g tank with a filter but un-cycled needs 50% water change every other day to every three days, vacuuming the substrate without moving the decoration or disruption plants roots every 7 days, once cycled with filtration and live plants 50% weekly with vacuum. Filter media only swished in old tank water with a water change when the water flow slows.
The ammonia in a cycling tank can build in about 3 days and often the fish will show signs by their behavior change.
IME- anytime a fish shows any behavior change make a 50% water change to rule out the environment.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #5 
Nelvea

Thank you very much!!!
Much appreaciated!!