Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #1 
BeautifulBettaFish

gravel,decorating & heater-your opinions

Ok with my fish (in avatar) what color gravel might be good ,so he will show up good ?

as far as the terra cotta pots can you use ones that have had soil/plants in them or do you need to use brand new ones ?

what can you definatly use (besides fishstore bought stuff) thats ok in a freshwater aquarium ....as long as its NOT sharp is ANYTHING glass ok ? (i know marbles are fine) what about things from nature ,whats ok & how do you get it ready ? just wash w/ water ? boiling water ? ...rocks,stones...driftwood...(I know seashells are not ok for freshwater tanks)

what have you used with success ,and what have you used that has NOT worked out as far as things to put in freshwater tanks ?
BeautifulBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #2 
BeautifulBettaFish

ok hers my tank so far...plus pics of "Grumpy" :)
Attached Images

Last edited by BeautifulBettaFish; 06-02-2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: pic too big
Old 06-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #3 
Magzmoir

River pebbles work well :) Ive collected quite a few from the local stream, I just give them a really good clean with a scrubbing brush in warm water, also try some live plants, Cabomba grows like mad needs next to no looking after or specific light conditions or fertilizers. You'll just have to get rid of hand fulls of the stuff when it grows lol (Day of the triffids comes to mind) and its very very cheap, well it is here I dont know about your area but I cant imagine it'll cost a huge deal.

The terracotta pots should be fine provided you give them a good scrub and rinse too, just dont use a detergent on anything your going to put in the tank and make sure anything your using to clean stuff with (sponges, scrubbing brushes, etc) hasnt been in contact with any detergents either.

I know a lot of people use PVC pipes for hides, just the kind used for plumbing but I dont like them I prefer the natural look.
Magzmoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #4 
BeautifulBettaFish

Thanks ! Im wondering if its ok to put a chunk of rose quartz & amythest in the tanks ?
Old 06-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #5 
Magzmoir

Yep Ive used quartz before, not sure about amythest, try the Fizz test (drop a little vinegar on it) if it fizzes dont put it in, if not it means its inert and should be safe
Magzmoir is offline   Reply With Quote