Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #1 
telphora

Question tips of his tail...

So I recently got a new betta and he's doing well but I've noticed that his tail and anal fin are like... stuck together at the tip. Instead of being spread out and flowy it's like they go to a tip. I posted a picture, but it's not very good. He seems to be coping okay but I can tell it's difficult for him to swim and he's using his fins a lot and wiggling his entire body to move. Poor thing. Anyone know what would be causing it or how to fix it?

telphora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #2 
telphora

Err... never mind I'm pretty sure he has fin rot. ><;

I'm going to start treatment tomorrow and hope I'm right.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:51 AM   #3 
mfskarphedin

They might have stuck together if he was healing from fin rot before and the tips grew together. If so, you can just cut it with a razor blade and pat some mercurchrome on it (wash it off before putting him back.) It's done with goldfish all the time.
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:54 AM   #4 
FireKidomaru

wow i couldnt do that... cutting his tail with a razor blade and all..... I would be 2 afraid to hurt him... your very brave mfskarphedin....I would be terrified
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:59 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

That's called fin clamping. Its a sign that the fish is cold, sick, stressed. Its not from the fins growing back that way. Usually fin clamping is accompanied by some other ailment.

How big is your tank and what temperature is it at? When was your last water change and how often do you do them?

If his fins were like that when you got him chances are that clean water, heat (78-80*), and healthy foods will help him get healthy and his fins will unclamp.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:47 AM   #6 
mfskarphedin

Wait, is he just clamping his fins, or are they actually attached/grown together? It seemed you said they're actually attached at the tips...

About the razor thing: some people use the technique to separate a double tail gf that isn't totally separate sometimes, but you need two top spines. Ok, I digress. It's also used to cut off part of a fin that is extremely infected, so it can start regrowing from a fresh start. I guess it's old-school, since I don't read much about it nowadays, but 20 years ago, it was more-commonly mentioned by showers, breeders, and such. There are probably archived web pages about it somewhere.

Note, I haven't needed to cut a fin, since I haven't had a case of fin rot since I read about the technique, um, 15 years ago?, but I have used merchurochrome on body sores on large goldfish and small koi. You have to keep it out of their eyes and gills. But don't try it if you're not comfortable with it. I think it would be kinda tough on such a small body of a betta, but a fin-tip...

Well, just throwing some ideas out there.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #7 
telphora

He didn't come that way and I don't know if they're attached? They just come to a point.

The tank is 2.5 gallons and has a heater which keeps it around the 75* mark. He seems happy but was a little jumpy when I first got him. I haven't cleaned the tank yet (I got him last saturday and I know I'm a bad person ><; ) but I'll probably do a 25% or 50% today.

Like I said, he didn't come like this and he may be clamping his fins, but what diseases is that associated with? I want my fish to get better D:
Old 06-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #8 
mfskarphedin

Hmm, that is a tad cool for a stressed fish. Like 1fish2fish said, my first instinct would be to warm the water a little more if possible, begin small daily water changes, provide cover, and if he doesn't improve, perhaps he's diseased in some way. There's lots of info on here about using salt and garlic temporarily to help.

BTW, if your heater is the type that is at a set wattage or temperature, you could remove some of the water to help the heater be more effective.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

I agree with mfs.. add a little aquarium salt (1/2 tsp per gallon) do small daily water changes (about 10-25%) and try to get it a little warmer.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #10 
telphora

Okay! You guys are right, the water is a tad cold compared to what it should be... I have one of those heaters where you can't set it so I'll try taking water out.

Thanks a bunch!