Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #1 
Alienbetta1
Banned

Question How long.........

can you keep a betta in a 1gallon tank?Do bettas do better with plants in there tank?Im asking these questions cause I wanted to know if Tango(below) would be happier with plants.

Thanks
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #2 
tumtum

Im pretty sure as long as you do plenty of water changes, that bettas can live their whole life in a 1 gallon. Correct me if I'm wrong someone
tumtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #3 
LucyLoofa

One gallon tanks are perfectly fine IME, and bettas are perfectly happy in them as long as you keep up with their water changes and make sure they are healthy. I would only recommend one live plant in a one gallon though both for simplicity of maintenance and for the well being of the fish. They need enough room to swim without restriction but also enough space to hide and plenty of room at the top of the tank for air so I definitely would NOT recommend any duckweed for a 1 gallon.
But I've only had three so far. So I would wait to hear further advice from more experienced betta owners.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #4 
McAttack

a plant provides cover, they usually like that but like Lucyloofa said, size might be a consideration.

One other thing that'll make him happy is exercise. Make sure you make him flare up a bit, move those muscles. My sister just called me and told me since she's used a mirror to make him flare up a bit once in a while he's been a bit more active and has started making a bubble nest also.
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #5 
Alienbetta1
Banned

Well he doesn't flare at his reflection in the mirror.
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #6 
newfiedragon

You could try one of those floating mirrors. I bought one for my fish, and he loves it! You only leave it in for 5 mins at a time, but the fish gets his exercise.
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #7 
sjones

Get a plant or plants, for fish happiness, they love them (silk not plastic-it rips betta fins)
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:46 AM   #8 
SarahSurfer

Im pretty sure he would be happier with plants. And with the Gallon tank. He would be absolutely happy. :) Ive had Betta like 4 years like that with periodic water changes.
SarahSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote