Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #1 
savethebetta

Save the Aussie Betta

Hello our American Betta Lovers!

We would like to invite you to join us to help save the betta in Australia, currently there is no law in place to protect these wonderful fish from a life of misery and cruelty and in Australia. there are 16,000 Pet shops in Australia and more then half keep their betta in cups or tiny bowls we want the Australian government to ban this awful trend and make it illegal to keep betta in anything less then 5L.There has been alot of talk about how much space to give them and with lots of opinions from breeders big and small myself one of them, supporting petshops and the general public we decided that 5L should be a legal limit especially in petshops because this is the main place were people learn about betta, educating the public on proper betta care is one of the aims of this group and targeting the main place where people buy betta ie a petshop is a good place to start. The RSPCA Australia recommends 10L which i a good thing for someone keeping one or two fighters at home but we as a group thought keeping betta breeders etc in mind that 5L is a good start heck its better then them nasty cups. So check out the website and dont forget to join us on Facebook!

http://stopbettacruelty.webs.com/

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=107692269261573

Cheers
Stop Fighting Fish Cruelty Australia Team
savethebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:31 AM   #2 
Allenbetta

I don't think your petition is going to make any dent at long terms from economically and realistically. Simply put,you just coerced people with high standard with the ropes that few people would abide. I check the album your site,yes,that humongous tank does look satisfied for Betta. Thus,how many people would afford that kind of tank??

This is very obvious that giving fish (which not just Betta) a good wide space of tank is more humane. Yet,some of people would not or willing not to do so. Yes,you may have the store selling Betta with 5L,yet,what about the end users? They're the one should rein at. And how are you doing to ?? Barge the house and punish the people who giving less than 5L??

All in all,if you saw one store selling Betta on poor condition and treating them awfully,please make a decision with you wallet that don't buy fish from there.

Having high priority is good,but facing the truth is more reality.
Allenbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:00 AM   #3 
savethebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenbetta View Post
I don't think your petition is going to make any dent at long terms from economically and realistically. Simply put,you just coerced people with high standard with the ropes that few people would abide. I check the album your site,yes,that humongous tank does look satisfied for Betta. Thus,how many people would afford that kind of tank??

This is very obvious that giving fish (which not just Betta) a good wide space of tank is more humane. Yet,some of people would not or willing not to do so. Yes,you may have the store selling Betta with 5L,yet,what about the end users? They're the one should rein at. And how are you doing to ?? Barge the house and punish the people who giving less than 5L??

All in all,if you saw one store selling Betta on poor condition and treating them awfully,please make a decision with you wallet that don't buy fish from there.

Having high priority is good,but facing the truth is more reality.
Hey

Hard to understand your reply as your English is not very good, We have not received any good feedback from Asian country's because many keep their betta in these horrible conditions and use many excuses to keep them that way, We believe that you shouldn't keep an animal that you cant properly care for but you are right that we should take action through the wallet. We believe education is the key to success and throwing away stereotypes! We have been very successful is our campaign so far!

Last edited by savethebetta; 06-05-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:23 AM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

Cool

I like what you're doing. I think it's a very good idea to have the legal limit for keeping betas be 1 gallon.

The thing is though, that's it's hard to keep a bunch of bettas in 1 gallon tanks because it takes up too much space and too many resources as far as water changes.

I hate to say it but it's much easier to keep them in the cups. Plus the cups are disposable whereas gallon containers are not.This means that if a betta gets sick in the bowl, and the store person doesn't clean the bowl well enough it could start fish health issues; whereas with a cup you just throw it out or recycle it, which prevents the spread of disease.

The thing I think would have the best effect is if you went to pet shops in your home town with fliers with proper betta care information on them. You could ask the owners if you could post them in the betta section along with a few pamphlets and hopefully people would pay attention.

I believe that if people just know what the right thing to do for a pet is, they'll often do it. (because most people that go to buy a pet wanna do the right things for that pet to keep it alive and healthy)

That should help get awareness out and at least the bettas that are bought would have a proper home.

Also I find that starting a scene and raising your voice at the manager demading better care of the animals and fish in a pet department or petstore actually works. So I'd think it would only work better if you had say one friend crying, one friend white hot angry but silent and glaring, and you raising your voice at the manager because of the treatment of the fish in the shops you're not currently satisfied with. ;] Do it when there are influential customers, or regular patrons that don't normally take an interest in bettas. Or you could do it when kids and their parents are around. that's always good because then it REALLY pressures the store to do better, seeing as how most bettas and goldfish are sold to kids. ;]

I play dirty sometimes if you couldn't tell. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:52 AM   #5 
spongebob

im not saying that it is humane to house bettas in cups, but having 1 male betta per 5 litres of tank water is im-practical and stores may stop carrying males.

a large cup is good enough but it has to be clean and have a decent amount of water in it

i live in townsville and the local pet stores have bettas in 0.5 L cups which are quite big.
spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:53 AM   #6 
Allenbetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethebetta View Post
Hard to understand your reply as your English is not very good, We have not received any good feedback from Asian country's because many keep their betta in these horrible conditions and use many excuses to keep them that way, We believe that you shouldn't keep an animal that you cant properly care for but you are right that we should take action through the wallet. We believe education is the key to success and throwing away stereotypes! We have been very successful is our campaign so far!
Ok, sorry, have made you displeased both on my English and opinions. Just having a high morality doesn't mean the work would be accomplished easily is all I meant. I didn't disapprove your campaign and believed you are doing for good cause.

Also, I said it before; people have all know what should be done that keeping fish on the appropriate size of tank. It’s common sense already. It was due to financial tight or they don't expend that kind of heavy money for leisure. The less cost, the merrier. This is not to mention the store whereas selling fish. Wally has said things right on the store keeping Betta on the cup. That’s the way it got more “convenient” to care Betta. This is not a pretext but the way it is.

So why fix it when it worked fine?

And please do not accusing without proof. Taiwan has animal right than you have thought. In here, there are so many animal-righted radicals monitoring on every place you treated them.

Don't venture a foreign place with your own rules.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:19 AM   #7 
Venom

I live in Australia, and I really like what you're doing. I see way too many stores, especially the chain ones, that almost promote betta torture. Though I'd have to admit, it isn't practical.

Very few stores I've been to have more than 1L for each betta, and most of them are treated reasonably well - that is, clean water and sick bettas are treated with medication. The problem lies in the ones that don't, and inform new owners that they don't need the essentials other fish do (though I've also been told that 3L is enough for a Comet goldfish, but that's another story).

What I'm trying to say is that by banning anything under 5L, the most likely thing to happen is that most retail stores will stop stocking our lovely male bettas, since they need to be kept separately, and to be honest, it's not likely too many fish retailers will decide to stock them if they need that much space each. Besides, the likelihood of them keeping a 5L tank clean for that one betta is less than the much more convenient cleaning of a cup, and the truth is, cleanliness is more important than space. A betta can survive in 500mL of clean water, but not 5L of ammonia filled water.

However, those horrid betta "tanks" they have, especially those inverted triangle ones I see too often, should be banned. That would be a much more practical target, rather than the store cups. It'll save a lot of innocent fish from the good intentioned, but misinformed owners. It will also stop those chain stores making a quick buck at the cost of a betta's life, and force them to give proper care information rather than suggesting a 200mL plastic star-shaped container, or something else just as ridiculous.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:53 AM   #8 
savethebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenbetta View Post
Don't venture a foreign place with your own rules.
we are not at all interested in changing laws in other countries we are only seeking support and opinions from overseas.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:37 AM   #9 
Venom

I'd like to add that your comment on the treatment of bettas in Asian countries is a little inaccurate. The traditional care is actually quite adequate, not ideal, but considering this is how our bettas were first kept, it isn't exactly too horrible. Compared to the disgusting "iPond" that recently caused a bit of controversy, it's reasonable.

It is the "modern" care I don't approve of, you know, the style and convenience for the owner first, not the fish's welfare. This is present in Asia, so in a sense I do agree with your opinion. Though just about every other place in the world is guilty of this aswell.

My point is, please don't assume that those countries don't enjoy their pets as much as we do, I'm sure there are just as many owners who keep their happy fish in large swimming spaces too.

Last edited by Venom; 06-05-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #10 
Allenbetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethebetta View Post
we are not at all interested in changing laws in other countries we are only seeking support and opinions from overseas.
Yes,and apparently you got one and not happy about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post

However, those horrid betta "tanks" they have, especially those inverted triangle ones I see too often, should be banned. That would be a much more practical target, rather than the store cups. It'll save a lot of innocent fish from the good intentioned, but misinformed owners. It will also stop those chain stores making a quick buck at the cost of a betta's life, and force them to give proper care information rather than suggesting a 200mL plastic star-shaped container, or something else just as ridiculous.
Yes, I have to agree with this. Like the horrid canine breeder. It’s irresponsible those breeders dumped the dog when them are getting old and couldn't get pregnant, especially the female ones. The buyers/pet lovers should know at first hand that where is your pet from and how it being cared before purchase. Yet, in reality, it’s really difficult to know that. Therefore, as I said before, it’s more viable that have you don’t like/trust the seller, don’t buy anything from it and tell people about that. The mouth words make it ashamed.

Ban the Betta living on cup (whichever the size you specifically indicated) for sale is noble thought, yet unpractical.

Last edited by Allenbetta; 06-05-2010 at 08:41 AM.