Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #1 
Kitty88

Exclamation Please, need a ton of help.

I haven't owned a fish since my father decided to keep a little tank for two years when I was seven. He did everything, I just named the pretty fishies. :/

Which leads to my current predicament. Someone brought a betta to my job at a restaurant Friday night. People were tapping on the tank, it was way too small...I just couldn't leave him there. So I asked a couple of people, bought a 5.5 gallon tank, gravel, and water conditioner today. Only, if you will remember......I DON'T KNOW JACK ABOUT FISH.
I don't know how to change water, I don't know how to set up a filter, or how long it should run before I put him in the tank, or what I should do with him in the meantime. The only thing I DID do confidently was take the awful oversized plastic plant out of the tank I rescued him in.

So please, let all your most basic knowledge flow into me. I'm in over my head here.
Kitty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

What kind of filter do you have? Basically all you do is set it on the tank (as close to the middle as possible). Fill it with water and turn it on. You'll probably want to let it run for about a day if possible just so everything can settle. Make sure your water is dechlorinated before adding the fish.

When you add him do it slowly. Put him in a cup and let him get used to the temperature of the water (your going to need a heater BTW). Slowly add a little of the new tank water and let out a little of the old. Do this over 15-30minutes.

Make sue you have a nice pellet food to feed to him. I use topfin and another brand (I'll look at it and get back to you on what it is). You'll also might want to get some frozen foods like blood worms or brine shrimp. Just try to have 2-3 different foods so he has a variety.

To do a water change you have 2 options.
1. You can research the cycling process. This helps to create a biological filter in your power filter. With a cycled tank you only need to do partial water changes (25-50%).
2. You can do full 100% changes every week, including rinsing the gravel.

IMO you should cycle. It seems really complicated but really its not. Just do your research and get a test kit, it takes a while (1-2 months) but it is SO worth it in the end.

To do a water change you need to get a gravel vacuum. These are available at any pet store. Don't listen to what the employee tells you, get the smallest one. The bigger ones suck the water out way too fast and don't give you enough time to vacuum the gravel.

You'll need to do water changes every week. If you don't cycle you'll have to do 100% changes. If you don't, harmful ammonia produced from fish waste can build up and eventually will kill your fish.

Make sure your tank has lots of cover. Bettas love to have caves and plants to hide in. You also need to make sure your water is kept between 76 and 82 degrees. (I personally prefer 80*).

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask :)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #3 
Allenbetta

This thread would help you a lots,please take a gander:http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058
Allenbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:24 AM   #4 
Kitty88

Allenbetta, I did look at the betta care thread, but I'm afraid I'm so much of a newb I need the most basic info ever. It's really kind of embarassing.

Thank you, 1fish2fish! That answered quite a few questions. Now I can move on to more detailed questions. XD

ok, so I do NOT have a filter, or water heater. I newbishly filled the tank after rinsing everything to let the water air, but was told the water conditioner would do thesame thing. I'm going to Petco on Monday, I have quite a bit of shopping to do.
I was told I should buy a Whisper 10 filter.
Also, what the heck do I do with Federigo when I change the water? I need to change the water he's in now, but I didn't have aged water or conditioner. How do I pour the new water into his tank? Don't currents bother them? Do I need a hood for his tank?

My head is swimming. I'm a mammal person. Fish are about as far from a rabbit as possible.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:35 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

A whisper 10 will work fine, you may need to buffer the flow somewhat but that is easily done. When you get a heater get a 25 watt one. If you can find one that is adjustable that is preferred.

If you have the cup he came in, I would put him in that to do water changes. If you don't have the cup you can net him and put him in a bowl (like a cereal bowl) of his old water. Make sure you cover the top because bettas will jump.

Just pour the water in the tank, try to do it slowly so he's not knocked around.

Definitely get a hood, bettas are jumpers. You can make a makeshift top out of plastic craft canvas if buying a hood is too expensive.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #6 
Kitty88

Federigo is actually still residing in his cup, as I was told I need to let the filter run for a day before putting him in. How do I balance the water in the tank if the levels aren't right when I check it? Also, what exactly does cycling entail?
Also my preemptive shopping list is as follows:
Whisper 10 filter
adjustable 25 watt heater, not a lamp
Hood
Brine shrimp?
Water testing kit

Tags
advice, beginner, emergency, tank setup, water changes