Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2010, 10:55 PM   #11 
1fish2fish

Your going to have to quarantine them for at least 3 weeks before adding them. Always QT before adding fish to a tank. Entire sororities have been wiped out because people bought the girls and put them in all in one day. Just one fish that has some illness can be the death of an entire tank.

Over the three weeks you can observe their behavior, put their tanks next to one another and watch how they interact then use your best judgment when adding them to the tank.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:40 AM   #12 
BettaBob

Darn i was thinking about doing a sorority with my ten gallon that is cycling, but this may have turned me off that because i dont have that many tanks to QT them all
BettaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #13 
newfishmom

I bought 3 of my females yesterday. I already have one. And today Petsmart is suppose to get a new shipment in. My new girl aren't in the loveliest of conditions, but it is better than what they came in. Some plastic gallon containers, a 1 quart mason jar and an old 1 gallon fish bowl. The three that I brough home yesterday seem to be doing fine. The come up and stare at me when I come into the room. Also, all of them ate fine last night, so that is good. Can't wait to see what I come home with today!
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #14 
52cherish

I initially started with a sorority of 5 in a 10 Gal. tank. We lost two of the females to popeye... since I saw them teaming up, I just added one back to the group and after the first hour of sniffing each other out. They are now all fine together.
The smallest female (blue CT, Jolly Roger) seems to be the most aggressive but she usually gets round up by another one (read CT, Blackbeard) who looks like the leader.
I was advised not to put more than 5 in a 10 Gal tank.
Make use to have hiding spaces in the tank and try to spread them out when you are feeding them. Our four always huddle together when I come with the food and I am using my finger outside the tank to get at least two of them to the other front corner. They are really trainable...
52cherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #15 
Zeetrain

Everyone has baicly covered it. Female bettas are so much fun, they really do have alot of personality. Just make sure you have a good amount of hiding spots. You can use clay pots, drift wood, stack stones, and heavily plant it. Not sure if thats already been said, but there will be less confrontations if they have places to hide and have territories.
Heres a picture of my sorority
Attached Images

Zeetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #16 
52cherish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeetrain View Post
Everyone has baicly covered it. Female bettas are so much fun, they really do have alot of personality. Just make sure you have a good amount of hiding spots. You can use clay pots, drift wood, stack stones, and heavily plant it. Not sure if thats already been said, but there will be less confrontations if they have places to hide and have territories.
Heres a picture of my sorority
I love the plants in your tank. Looks great...
Our sorority has artificial plants right now, but we are planning on changing to live plants over the summer.
Here is a picture of the current tank set-up.
52cherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #17 
JamieTron

I have a sorority of 7 that started out with 4....I decided to increase it adding new ones be careful though. One female I kept out for breeding did not get along with anyone she picked at everyone... but she responds well to males. Just be prepared to have emergency tanks in cause yours don't get a long. It took me 3 attempts to make a sorority work my females I bought were never compatible until now. I got lucky with all my new girls they swim in a big group ahaha... I would choose fish that are close in the same size.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote