Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #11 
sainthogan

I'm currently using Stress coat by API, but I can get Prime on amazon. Both tanks have been cycled, one for a little over a year, the other for almost 2 years, though they have now been having trouble holding a cycle, I was assuming because of the higher ammonia levels in the tap water.
I have sponge filters in both tanks, but they are both turned off because the flow is still too much for them, especially for my male, but he has chronic SBD in addition to whatever this is now. Both have been treated with epsom salts, and medications bacteria. I have not treated for viruses because I feel it is now definitely water related.
Matt, to make a long story short, the last time someone asked for a simple report in a non-threatening manner, everyone assumed he didn't trust what was going on in the town and his life was made a living hell for a very long time by other locals, he finally ended up moving. I've lived here most of my life, so I know what would cause a problem and what wouldn't, this definitely would. I could try anonymously, but news travels VERY fast and it probably wouldn't take long for someone to start spreading rumors about who tried to get information, especially since I've already been told in person, that the water is fine.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #12 
jaysee
Reference Team

I did not mean buying bottles of water. There are places that have RO machines - you put money in and it pumps out water into your container. Usually costs $0.25-$0.50 per gallon. Walmart is one but other places have them too, including many fish stores. Whether you can find such a place is another matter, being in such a small community.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #13 
sainthogan

Not in our town. The closest place that has RO water is about an hour away at one of the grocery stores. I make it there for a big shopping trip when I have saved up enough money to go, about once a month. I have seen the big bottles you can buy to get the water, not sure about the price, the prices there are higher than they should be as well (one of the huge disadvantages of living in a place where the primary industry is tourism). I will check the next time I go, probably next weekend.
In the meantime, I will look at getting prime on amazon.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #14 
jaysee
Reference Team

Yeah where I live is entirely tourism driven. Things are more expensive on the island versus mainland for sure.

Just curious, but if there IS something wrong with the water then I wonder if that will have an affect on the bacteria as well.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #15 
sainthogan

That would make sense if my cycle has been thrown off. I cycled both right away and they have never had a problem until a few months ago.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #16 
jaysee
Reference Team

I would contact the department of environmental protection and tell them your story. You might be the first report, or maybe not....
Old 02-24-2014, 04:09 AM   #17 
Hallyx
Reference Team

API Stresscoat locks ammonia just like Prime. I think it even uses the same chemical.

If your filters are off, your cycles are suspect; your bacteria colonies are shrinking and weak. Spomge filters can be dialed down a lot, but a certain minimum circulation is needed to aerate and feed you colonies. It isn't much, though. Can you turn them down more? Can you put plants around the outlets to attenuate the current?

Both Zeolite and activated carbon deal with ammonia. I can send you a PDF if you're interested. But you really need to get your cycle back.

I'm thinking arsenic and flourine are not good for plants, fish or people. Sorry you live in a self-enforcing concentration camp.

Last edited by Hallyx; 02-24-2014 at 04:17 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote