Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #1 
Beagle948

Betta Eating More Than He Should

So my betta Ramses is housed in a ten gallon, with four kuhli loaches, and three cory cats. I'm having an issue with him....he likes to eat the algea wafers I drop in for the bottom feeders. Ramses always eats all his pellets so my bottom feeders need supplement and he like to eat it all and swim around with a big bloated belly. Is there a way to keep him from doing this? I know it's super bad for him.
Beagle948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #2 
Betta Nut

Well, you could keep him floating in a cup for an hour when you drop in the wafers. Just put some of his food at the top so he swims up, and let the suction from submerging the cup pull him in. A more convenient way I'd try though, is getting a few brands of the algae wafers since they are cheap and hope there is a brand he doesn't like.
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:04 PM   #3 
jackfaz

I've never dealt with this problem personally, but I've heard of some people waiting until nighttime to feed their bottom feeders because the other fish will be asleep and a lot of bottom feeders are more nocturnal.
jackfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You can corral him with a piece of plastic mesh like they use for dividers. It takes a little parctice, but I've done this successfully.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #5 
Beagle948

Thanks guys! I'll give it a try. Hopefully I can make him stop eating it. He looks so smug when he does it lol.
Beagle948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #6 
yus

hello everyone...i'm a newbie here...i just start to keep betta as a hobby...question is-i used to feed my betta with minced chicken...is that ok ? not daily,once a week i guess...
yus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #7 
Valentino14

Minced chicken sounds like a very bad idea... you can pick up betta food from a bunch of different stores, and once a week is not enough!! A betta needs to eat at least every other day if not around once a day...
Omega 1 betta buffet is one of the best kinds of food.
Valentino14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #8 
yus

thanks a lot...this help me a bit...and my fish is getting more happy...
yus is offline   Reply With Quote