Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2010, 12:32 AM   #1 
TheRat

Is this normal?

Hello all.

I am fairly new to Betta and fish in general, but have been doing LOTS of reading in my spare time. I have to say that I LOVE fish keeping, and have been facinated with the Betta in particular ever since we got our Betta.

A little background...

Currently I have a 10g community tank with live plants, filter and heater set to 78.

I have only had my tank for a little over 2 months. I have been doing a 30% water change every 2 weeks. Currently my stock is this.

1 Betta (Mr. Betta)
7 Neon Tetra
3 Peppered Corys

I have checked the water levels regularly, and all are well within what is suggested for freshwater fish and Betta.

About 3 weeks ago I noticed what looks like a transparent spot on the bottom fin of my Betta. I have been trying to research and find out what it might be ever since.

Here is a picture, sorry for the small size. For a larger picture (can't seem to post the larger one)

I have a few pictures on my picture site http://www.pbase.com/therat/mr_betta can't seem to get a large picture posted

Anyways, I dont remember seeing it when I first got the betta but I am not 100% sure on that. It hasn't gotten bigger or changed shape at all for that matter, and his fins aren't tattered or anything.

His colors seem bright, the spot isn't raised like what I have read about ich. He doesn't clamp his fins, or have problems floating etc., and the spot is NOT a hole in the fin.

He flares all the time, eats like a pig (2-3 pellets in the morning) and 2-3 pellets at night (sometimes dried bloodworms). I even cut back his diet for a few days thinking he might be over eating or something.

The other fish leave him alone, never seen any niping or anything.

Is this just a transparent spot or something I should be worried about?

Last edited by TheRat; 06-07-2010 at 12:35 AM.
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:58 AM   #2 
Allenbetta

The water of quality matters most for fish's fins. Since you got him on the community tank,it definitely quite harder keep the water on the normality for Betta.
Allenbetta is offline   Reply With Quote