Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #1 
NozzALa

Water source causing fin rot?

Hey guys, I've had my Fluval Spec for a while now, and my Crowntail betta has recently been having fin problems. I started seeing small bits of his fins on the bottom of the tank and it looks frayed and everything. I do water changes often (could excessive water changes cause fin rot due to stress? If so I'll cut down to once a week), I keep his water heated at 80-82 degrees at all times, I feed him a good diet of NLS and Bloodworms. I do pretty much everything right and the only thing I can think that would be causing high levels of anything bad is my tap water, which I condition with each change. I've been dosing his water with the appropriate amounts of aq salt and stress coat for the last couple of water changes to help.

I may have to test my water and if there are high levels of anything I may need a new water source, because I do everything to keep this thing in top condition. Anyone else have this problem or have water recommendations? Any info would be appreciated.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #2 
fish lover21

Maybe the filter is tearing its fins?? Or sum of the aquarium decor could be sharp and could be tearing its fins. I would just get sum finrot medicine and treat it if its fins are not better after treatment just watch it maybe if you do for a bit you might see what is causing the problem.
fish lover21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #3 
NozzALa

The only thing that could possibly do that is the fake tree stump cave that you can find at Walmart. I cut all the plastic and silk plants off of it but it could still be hurting his fins, possibly. I went ahead and ordered a new ornament just to be safe, and I've been wanting to replace it anyway. All thats in there aside from that is two silk plants, a fluval moss ball, and sand with some decorative pond stones, nothing else that could scrape him.

Hopefully the treatments plus a safer ornament will stop the fin damage.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #4 
shellieca

Are you sure he's not fin nipping? Can you post a pic? It is also possible that the stress of all of the water changes can be causing him to fin nip. When you say excessive; how often, how much, what sized tank?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #5 
NozzALa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Are you sure he's not fin nipping? Can you post a pic? It is also possible that the stress of all of the water changes can be causing him to fin nip. When you say excessive; how often, how much, what sized tank?
I don't think it's nipping, there's a big chunk of one fin gone down to the 'membrane' or whatever it is between the fins of a Crowntail. I do small water changes whenever there is a few bits of waste on the bottom, anywhere from 25 to 50%, sometimes three or four times a week. I'm going to control my OCD and take it down to one, two a week max, lol. I have a 2.6 gallon fluval spec III.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #6 
mart

I had the same problem. I believe it started with the return grate shredding his tail and ended up going into tail rot.
Does he hang out on the grate a lot?
I also started using bottled water. Ended up having to use API Fungus Cure to get everything under control. Now his fins are growing back.
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:21 AM   #7 
NorthernLights

I would test the water, and do GH and KH tests if you can. My water at the time turned out to be off-the-scale hard on both counts, which I believe caused both the fin issues and the untimely deaths of my first two bettas. Some tap water has ammonia in it (and it can be quite high), so if your ammonia tests positive, you may want to go to Prime as your main water conditioner.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:19 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Stresscoat has the same chemicals as Prime for treating chloramine and ammonia. Prime is better because it's concentrated--- cheaper per dose, and less chemicals in the tank.

Besides not being good for the fish, AQ salt can raise your pH. Not what you want with a crowntail. But that depends on your GH/KH (buffer). It would help if you knew what those readings are.

You are not changing water excessively if you're running an uncycled tank without filter. If you cycle your tank, once a week would do.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #9 
LaniBaby

I just posted about this this weekend! Check for the thread about Chicago water causing fin rot. Someone suggested there that the fin problems could be caused by the seasonal water changes - they change the chemistry of the water as seasons fluctuate - and sure enough, my ph is over 8. I did a double dose of Prime and frequent water changes, but I'm still seeing problems. Have you considered your pH or municipal water system?
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote