Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #1 
LaniBaby

Pacific Krill for bettas

Hey all!
I'm looking for a better diet for Francis and I have some pacific krill here for my reef tanks. I did a search but only find marine bettas coming up with krill. Can freshwater bettas also eat pacific krill? It doesn't seem like it's in their natural habitat. Thanks!
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I don't know about Pacific Krill but I know in NLS they have Whole Atlantic Krill. I assume it's a very different species as is Pacific Salmon and Atlantic Salmon so I probably wouldn't, just in case unless someone else knowledgeable about this comes on. jaysee may know if you want to PM him.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #3 
NorthernLights

The better betta pellets (like Omega One) include salmon and halibut, which are not from a betta's natural habitat either; krill is on the ingredient list of Omega One Betta Flakes (specifically as part of a "seafood mix") so that sounds like marine krill to me. If it is fresh krill from your marine tank, I'd be worried about the salt content more than anything else. In the wild, IIRC, bettas eat almost entirely a diet of insects, insect larvae, and occasionally much smaller fish, so probably very little salt in their diet. In general, what we feed bettas (as well as nearly all other pets) is fairly different from what they eat in the wild; this is not always a bad thing because their lives in the wild are very different from their lives in captivity (i.e., they have food consistently available, they don't have to hunt, they don't have to defend themselves, etc.)

I would say, therefore, you almost certainly CAN feed bettas krill, but you may need to prepare it in a special way to be safe and suitable for your bettas. It might be more trouble to prepare it yourself than to just buy freeze-dried or frozen krill. FWIW, I offered both my snail and my betta a piece of soaked freeze-dried krill the other day; the snail ignored it and the betta nibbled it once then ignored it.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #4 
LaniBaby

it's not from the tank directly; it's a little packet, but it's not freeze dried, either. It's like a preparation - it's moist. I'm not sure how to explain it. I suppose then I'll give it a go and see if he likes it! I found some other food we have for tropical fish and it has krill in it, so hopefully it won't be a bad thing. However, I have plenty else here for him to eat, so if it's dangerous at all, it's not worth a go. I just want to make sure his little immune system gets a boost. Thanks!
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It's certainly not dangerous. And it would offer some variety.

But really, NLS and O1 are a complete diet. And domestic Betta don't need variety for health or attitude.

Might be good roughage if he needs it.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:38 AM   #6 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
It's certainly not dangerous. And it would offer some variety.

But really, NLS and O1 are a complete diet. And domestic Betta don't need variety for health or attitude.

Might be good roughage if he needs it.

Agreed on all.

Krill is a fantastic protein source
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote