Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #1 
Nelvea

Plecostamus Clown?

Alright, long story short, I heard that Oto and Betta get along well and I needed a algae eater ...so I thought 'why not' but once at the store, (after doing 2 petshops without founding any Oto), the guy told me I could always try a Plecostamus Clown and they would get along fine with Betta. 8)

And now after reading lot of information I am totally confused as to if they get along with betta!?!?! Since lot of sites are contradictory...

On some forums it says its okay and that Pleco are peaceful, but on other places its say they are territorial...

Does anyone here have succeded into placing a Betta and a Plecostamus Clown together???

Thank you for reading...
Nelvea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How big is your tank?
IMO/E the smallest tank size for the smallest adult size pleco is a 20g tank and that is pushing it as far as tank size for a fish that will get 5-6 inches within a year with proper care.
You also need to provide wood as part of their diet too, the wood is needed for their digestion.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:02 AM   #3 
McAttack

I wouldn't recommend a pleco in a small beta tank. They are territorial towards other plecos. But mine happily feed with my corys and have no problem. no fighting. The betta and the pleco won't even eat the same food.

The reason I wouldn't put one in there is that even if you find one that will stay very small, like a bristlenose, their bioload is very high for their size. Most algae eaters are anyways.
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:52 AM   #4 
Nelvea

Thanks very much to both of you... Very useful tips.

I got a 19L (5 U.S. GaL) ;)
Nelvea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #5 
Welsh

Im absolutely traumatised by these fish, no thanks to my parents lol Anyway, I was thinking, could you buy a baby pleco at the store and then when it starts to outgrow the tank take it back and swap it for another baby one? Im not saying for your 5 gall im just hijacking your question :P
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote