Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2014, 11:07 PM   #11 
Joey Fish

Wow looks great. I cant wait to see it develop/ grow. I want to see it stocked, great job on the tank
Joey Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #12 
G26okie

Started adding live stock today.

Started with a bottle of tetra safestart which I have used twice in the past on my other tank with great success.

I decided on Harlequin Rasboras, rather than the minnows. One reason being the temperature of the water, and the main reason, I didn't want baby minnows to overtake the tank. Supposedly the rasboras are a little harder to breed, so I won't need to worry about that.

Anyway I went to 3 different fish stores, the first one had a whole tank of rasboras last time I was there 2 weeks ago, they were completely out. Went to petco, they don't carry them.

Went to petsmart and got the last 2 they had. I had planned on 3-4 to start cycling the tank with the TSS, as I know they do better in bigger groups. My end goal is to have 6-8, with the one betta, and some RCS, and maybe a nerite to control algae.

I acclimated them for two hours just to be safe since my water is pretty hard, and they are now exploring their new home, always by each others side.

G26okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #13 
G26okie

So I added my betta Picky just now, aside from the move stressing him, and him freaking out about the net, I think he is doing alright. He is moving kinda sluggish in the new tank, but I attribute that to him blowing all his energy trying to run away from the net.

He hasn't even given the rasboras a second glance, so the chances are looking good that they can co-exist. In his other tank, he wouldn't even go after the ghost shrimp, but he would try to take their algae wafers away from them.

It seems he would much rather surf glass incessantly than chase anything lol.

Last edited by G26okie; 02-24-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #14 
G26okie

Everyone was still alive this morning lol.

My betta acts as if he is the only thing in the tank, doesn't even look/chase/flare, anything at the rasboras, which was a relief as I didn't want to have to separate him.

The rasboras are doing alright, they were schooling much tighter when I first put him in the tank, but it seems now they figured out they are ok, so they have gone back to just being in random places by themselves most of the time. I'm hoping once I add a few more they might all hang out together though.

One of the four rasboras likes to hang out by himself, his colors are fine, and the other ones are not picking on him so I don't know why.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #15 
G26okie

So one of the rasboras just died. He had been hanging out by himself for the past couple of days, while his tank mates schooled. He wasn't being bullied by them, the betta didn't attack him, and his color was fine.

I just got home from work today and he was swimming against the surface with the tip of his mouth against the surface and soon after he passed.

I tested ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, all at 0ppm (waiting for tetra safestart to kick in).

I know sometimes you just get a weak fish. The other three are very active, schooling together and ate fine tonight, and my betta is doing good as well.