Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #1 
Phether

Tetra Safestart - Anybody used this before?

Anybody use this before to cycle your tank? Was it reliable? Do you use it first to cycle your tank and then put in your fish? Or do you put both in at the same time?
Phether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #2 
Coolguy

I have not personally used it but my friend has and tells me it works he said in he was taking nitrite and ammonia readings from the first day he used it and said it took about 4 days before he had 0ppm of ammonia or nitrites but he was doing water changes too. He said his water was a bit cloudy but that's because the Safestart uses bacteria to get rid of the ammonia and nitrites
Coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E-the products used to cycle are a waste of time and money....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:41 AM   #4 
Mizzle

Products such as this claim that they have beneficial bacteria in them that will aid you in kick starting your cycle. Somehow, this beneficial bacteria survives on a store shelf, with no oxygen, and a depleted portion of ammonia (its food source). Sounds bogus IMO

I wouldn't buy it. Either cycle the aquarium yourself the natural way (fish in) bettas are pretty hardy fish and you should have no problems at all if you are responsible with your tanks chemical levels, or ask a friend for some filter media.
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote