Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #1 
rexington

Lots of feces / weird feces

Hey there,

Totally new to the forum and very new to bettas (or any fish for that matter). Our boys were given the Back to the Roots Aquafarm tank by a close family friend for xmas and we just recently got it up and running -- about a week ago.

After just one week, we've noticed a lot of (we think) feces accumulating at the bottom. I'm going to include pics -- hope nobody finds this offensive.

First, some key details:
It's a 3-gallon tank. So far, we don't have a heater, but we're getting one. The room is usually about 68-70 degrees. This tank doesn't have a filter, but has an air pump that forces water up into the plant area, which is then "filtered" by the plants and returned to the tank.
The only tank-mate our betta has is a very small snail to help keep the tank surfaces clean.
I'll have to double-check the food type we're feeding him, but it's what came with the tank.
We haven't tested the water, but we used the water conditioner that came with the tank.
Since we got our betta, his appearance seems to have actually improved, so we're not too concerned, but it just seems like a lot of poop!

OK, here are the pics:

Sorry for the blurry pic of the betta. I'll have to fix that.
rexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #2 
Laki

Hey there :)

Congrats on your betta and the choice to join us at the forum! I don't think that stuff is feces; healthy betta poop is a brick-ish color and in a clump which sinks immediately. Sick betta poop is stringy and floaty and looks different than that. Since you have the tank you do, I'm willing to bet it's medium from the plants. Maybe fertilizer or part of the substrate for the plants.

Do you have a heater in your tank? Bettas are tropical fish and will get sick without one. Nevermind those who say that bettas like cold water. Trust me :)

How often do you clean the water on the tank? Even though the plants are "filtering" it, they're actually not filtering or cleaning the water. You'll have to clean the tank once a week without a proper filter.

He's a handsome boy!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #3 
rexington

Hey there! Thanks for the response! I had a feeling it might not be feces -- just didn't seem possible.

We don't have a heater yet, but we're getting the best possible one we could find -- a Neo-therm 25w. We were going to get a simple 7w "always-on" heater, but I don't want to run the risk of the water temp getting too high, either.

We haven't changed the water yet (it's been a week), but we plan to change it out at least weekly.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #4 
Laki

No sweat! I agree with you, the 7 watt heater run out too fast. I had one die within 6-7 months. My 10 watt heater is still working enough for me to keep it around for quarentine tanks (though it's struggling to keep my new ADF's quarentine water at 75F so I fear this is its last kick at the can). The neo-therm has great reviews!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #5 
thewombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexington View Post
Hey there,

Totally new to the forum and very new to bettas (or any fish for that matter). Our boys were given the Back to the Roots Aquafarm tank by a close family friend for xmas and we just recently got it up and running -- about a week ago.

After just one week, we've noticed a lot of (we think) feces accumulating at the bottom. I'm going to include pics -- hope nobody finds this offensive.

First, some key details:
It's a 3-gallon tank. So far, we don't have a heater, but we're getting one. The room is usually about 68-70 degrees. This tank doesn't have a filter, but has an air pump that forces water up into the plant area, which is then "filtered" by the plants and returned to the tank.
The only tank-mate our betta has is a very small snail to help keep the tank surfaces clean.
I'll have to double-check the food type we're feeding him, but it's what came with the tank.
We haven't tested the water, but we used the water conditioner that came with the tank.
Since we got our betta, his appearance seems to have actually improved, so we're not too concerned, but it just seems like a lot of poop!

Sorry for the blurry pic of the betta. I'll have to fix that.
How big is your small snail? I have a nerite snail and the appearance and amount of poop mine puts out seems similar to what you've shown!
thewombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #6 
rexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewombo View Post
How big is your small snail? I have a nerite snail and the appearance and amount of poop mine puts out seems similar to what you've shown!
Interesting! It's quite small -- perhaps less than a half-inch (1cm) across. I'll try to see if I can get a size comparison photo.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, when I first saw the pictures and didn't read the text my immediate thought was snail or shrimp poo so that definitely makes sense there :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, feces