Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #1 
CataclysmKitten

Unhappy ADF Urgent Help

so i have a designated 2.5 gallon tank for my african dwarf frogs, and they just keep dying! I have a heater, a filter, and a thermometer in there, and one of the frogs got stuck up behind the filter and died cause he couldn't come up from air. The other ones i had escaped from the tank, because it has a hole up front, which i promptly covered up with these two. I am just wondering. is it really worth having a filtration system in there if all they keep doing is getting stuck in it? i've heard of the pantyhose idea before, but don't have a pair readily available. is there something i can do to keep the last one from dying? This is really taking a toll on my emotions. i can't deal with another dead frog.

Thank you for your time
CataclysmKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #2 
Narnian

Well, Walmart sells knee-high pantyhose, in a little plastic bubble container (like the ones from toy vending machines) and it's only like 19 cents or something. Can you not do that?

I've always heard of frogs getting stuck in filters, so you'll HAVE to cover it up some how of you don't want him to die. At least take out the filter and do a water change every day, if you aren't able to get the pantyhose immediately. :)
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #3 
CataclysmKitten

i can do that, thank you. i just don't want my baby to get hurt like the other one did.
To think that a frog cannot fit up there is my mistake. It happened, and we had to bury a frog today. I shall be more careful with my little ones now.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #4 
puppyrjjkm

first 2.5 gal is pretty small for an ADF especially if you have more than 1. I would personally get a 5 gal then you could have your betta with them. I had this setup and bought plastic "mesh" like what you make home made dividers out of for multiple bettas. Just buy a big sheet of it and cut it out to fit your tank top. So it fits on the "rim" on the inside of the tank but the hood sits on top of it. Works perfect!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:09 AM   #5 
CataclysmKitten

my betta doesn't like to get along with the frogs. He nips at them.
But now the one frog has a 2.5 gal tank and i'm going to get the pantyhose for the filter. Is this an adequate set up, or are you still recommending a 5 gal setup?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #6 
Narnian

Personally, I think 2.5 gallons would be suitable. I mean, my LFS keeps their ADFs in the mini sized critter keeper, and there are like 6 of them in there. ACK! 2.5 gallons at least is better then 1 gallon.

And don't blame yourself about your frogs. At least you know now. :)
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #7 
CataclysmKitten

mini sized critter keeper? Eek! That's not good.
It's hard not to blame myself for what has happened, but i know what happens now if u have a frog near a filter, or have an open hole in the lid of your aquarium
Old 06-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #8 
puppyrjjkm

I would still go with the 5, but i guess it's up to you. I wouldn't use a filter to get rid of your problem, but still put the mesh on top so they dont crawl up on your heater and get out.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote