Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #11 
Agent13
Reference Team

Whiptail catfish

Oh yes.. Those are African cichlids from lake Malawi . They have different needs then your other fish. They need a PH of 8-8.2 and very hard water..~10dKH or a bit more.
Another concern is they are herbivores .. They shouldn't eat any type of worms. They are prone to Malawi bloat if fed too much non plant proteins . I'd either give them back to the store or prepare for a large mbuna tank just for mbuna African cichlids.

Oops.. I just saw the tank size . They will become extremely territorial confined to 15g. I wouldn't recommend yellow labs or any mbuna being kept in less then 55g.

Sent from Petguide.com App

Last edited by Agent13; 02-26-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #12 
eatmice2010

MI3 like lilnaugrim said I would also take the cichlids out, because they are aggressive fish.

I have my whiptail I'm a 20 long, I don't care for hight on tanks to go more for the floor space. Because I know when you hear 6inches you think big fish, well no, they are skinny fish that take up no room, yes 50g is an ideal size, but if you do your research you will also read they like strong currents, that would be a PRICY filter with out a dought lol, also I read a lot of posts that said they have success in "long" 20gs +. So I put a nice currented filter, and have a lot of plants in my tank( they need and love to have a heavily planted tank) they also like wood in there tanks.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:52 PM   #13 
MI3

You could be right LittleBettaFish. I thought it was cute that they swam circles around each other but now you mention it, I look at them completely different now.

I agree with you both, you have to do what is right for the fish even if it means having to sacrifice what you want in order to do that. I have faith in one of the staff at my lfs but I also try to research as best I can before I get fish (cichlids were not my choice).
Looks like i'll have to make room for a new tank ;) Im sure the Man won't mind 'just one more'.

Thanks for the tips and advice!
MI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #14 
Agent13
Reference Team

Well.. Sounds like an African cichlid tank in your future ? If so I'd be happy to help you ., I have regular tropical a in most of my tanks then Africans in one . It's not rocket science ..

Old 02-27-2014, 06:41 AM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Haha, yeah, good luck with the 'just one more'!! I wish I had room for just one more ^_^

An African tank would be a beautiful addition though!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #16 
MI3

Agent 13, what African fish do you have? what and how many would you suggest for my 15gal?
My flatmate is adamant she is keeping the cichlids so I have moved the tetras to the sorority tank for now until I can get a larger tank.

I have looked at Labeo shark, Danios, Synodontis catfish and the larger Tetras (the African Redy-Eye Tetra, Diamond, Black Tail, and Congo Tetras.) however I still need to look at water requirements. Any thoughts on one of these for tank mates?

Last edited by MI3; 03-01-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #17 
Agent13
Reference Team

I'd recommend none for a 15g. I too also have yellow labs as well as many more species of mostly lake Malawi mbuna. But I have mine in a 72g which gives them the real-estate they need.

They are fantastic fish to keep .. However only when done right . I'd say a 40 breeder is minimum for yellow labs. After that really you should look at 55g +.

If you decide to keep them you will need to stock a 55g + tank with mbuna African cichlids . If you get to this point I'll help steer you in the right direction

Old 03-01-2014, 11:46 PM   #18 
MI3

Awesome thanks Agent13!