Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #21 
snowflake311

Omg . Just because the fish lived in crap condition done not mean it's good for it.

Yeah you can keep a dog in a tiny dog run all it's life and never let him out.
feed him and clean his dog run when you feel like it and he will survive. It's cruel to keep a dog in a small dog run all it's life.

Just get a bigger tank. Or don't keep fish.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #22 
Eep Crood

I got a betta this weekend and put her in a 2.5 gallon.
Eep Crood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #23 
sandybottom
Reference Team

good,reasonable choice.good luck with your new fish.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #24 
smilingdoberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eep Crood View Post
I got a betta this weekend and put her in a 2.5 gallon.
Cool! Can you posts some pics Id like to see her?! And I have my bettas in a 2.5 gallon too :)
smilingdoberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #25 
Eep Crood

This is her, I hope this picture posts, and it is not sideways or upside down.
Attached Images

Eep Crood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #26 
rpadgett37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eep Crood View Post
I am getting a fish this weekend. I am deciding between a betta and a goldfish. Any suggestions?

My tank is 2.5 gallons, and I am not stupid. I know that you do NOT need a 30 gallon for a goldfish, so don't lie to me. Like other people do. My friends goldfish lived for two years in a bow and it is still alive... So how do you explain that. I've never seen a little goldfish in a30 gallon. NEVER. NOBODY does that. I do understand that if you put a goldfish in a pond, it will grow to be huge, but it will not be that big if you put it in a 2.5 gallon. And why would they make bowls if they were too small for all fish?
I would imagine most any fish can be kept in a smaller tank provided water changes are done frequently and water parameters are kept stable (meaning PH, KH, GH and temperature; however, that is a tall order in smaller tanks that are easily susceptible to conditions outside of the tank.

Having said that, I turn my attention to the tank size and a Goldfish. All goldfish varieties grow to a large size as adults (8 inches in most case, some larger than that). Starting a Goldfish off in a smaller tank is fine but upgrading your tank to larger sizes to accommodate their growth is necessary if you wish to keep them alive and healthy. Failing to do so will stunt their growth and significantly reduce their life span (max up to 8 years I believe).

Now by stunted growth, I do not mean they simply stop at a particular size because of the size of the tank, that they simply stop growing. Recent studies are showing that externally, the fish stops growing (overall size); however, the organs within the fish continue to grow at a normal rate. The end result is the organs eventually outgrow the fish size, will rupture and do all kinds of other nasty things that give the fish a painful death. It most certainly cuts their lifespan by quite a bit (2 years is only 1/4 of the max of a goldfish lifespan. As I understand it, nearly all species will suffer this fate if kept in conditions not conducive to the requirements of their adult size. You can google lots of topics in this area, and I will say this is a controversial issue. One thing does seem certain, though, that a fish will only grow to the size of the tank is a myth. Other things are going on such as what I have mentioned above.

Given this, a Betta is a far better choice for your size aquarium. It adapts very well to smaller tanks and will grow to its adult size without any issues. Of course proper care is still needed in terms of providing optimal conditions to ensure a long and healthy lifespan, but for a smaller aquarium, there really is no better choice as a showcase fish both for its size, adaptability, and beauty than a Betta.

On a final note, even if a goldfish did grow to only a small size, I believe your tank would be too small anyway. Goldfish produce a great deal of amonia, and if you did not regularly change out water, the fish would eventually die from the poisons it produces. It may not even survive that either given the conditions of the new water need to match what is in the aquarium as closely as possible. Failure to do the work needed to achieve that will only shock the fish, rendering it susceptible to diseases that may kill it off.

I have not lied to you just so you know.

Last edited by rpadgett37; 02-27-2014 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Left one thing out
rpadgett37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #27 
jaysee
Reference Team

Since you mentioned recent studies, can you provide a link to these studies?
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #28 
Cody27

We have our betta, "Stormy", in a 5 gallon hexagon aquarium and he LOVES it!! Originally we looked at Betta Bowls that were on sale at our LPS, but I automatically said to my wife "no way" and got the Marineland Eclipse Hex5. He is the only fish in the tank right now, but will get one or two Ghost Shrimp later for "cleaning" purposes.

Also, read some replies that said that a heater is a necessity......not necessarily! We bought a Aqueon 10W Mini Heater (recommended to us), but last week turned it off after noticing the water temperature was almost 86 degrees! It was a warm day here in northeastern Florida and we had a door and window open. So, add the outside warmth, along with the aquarium light warmth, w/filtration motor (partly in water) warmth AND the mini heater........TOO MUCH! Haven't turned it back on and the temp during the day, w/aquarium light on, is 80 to 82. In the middle of the night, temp is 78 to 80. People who live in the northern States.........oh yes, heater is a MUST in the winter!
Cody27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #29 
rpadgett37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Since you mentioned recent studies, can you provide a link to these studies?
Studies was too strong a word to use; however, there is plenty of information on the subject, covering all things that will stunt a fishes' growth as well as define what stunting is. Some theories are controversial, but you can sift through all of the info and see for yourself.

I didn't mention before that stunting is not limited to small tanks; however, smaller tanks are more likely to have all of the factors involved with stunting present due to their small size. And the size of the tank does definitely play an unfortunate role in this story.

Google: "Do fish grow to the size of their tank?"

Last edited by rpadgett37; 02-28-2014 at 07:50 PM.
rpadgett37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #30 
jaysee
Reference Team

What kind of fish should I get?

I've been around a long time and have read a lot people sharing their thoughts on the matter but what I haven't seen is anyone furnish any documented sources saying that the organs continue to grow while the fish as a whole does not.

I'm not saying that that info is not out there..... I'm just saying that I've never seen it accompany the claim. It sure is repeated often enough for people to think its fact though.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote