Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2014, 08:52 AM   #1 
IanHulett

Puffed eye, what to do?

Hey! One of my mickey mouse platies has a swollen left eye. At first I thought it was an illusion due to the direction he was facing relative to where I was but then got a better look a day or two later and it's still appearing swollen. So, I realized it's not an illusion, it is an infection of some kind. What can I do on my part to stop this? Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by IanHulett; 02-27-2014 at 09:03 AM.
IanHulett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:26 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I would suggest removing the Platy to a hospital tank to attempt to treat with Epsom Salt first. Hopefully it's just something minor and Epsom Salt will be enough to treat it, otherwise it may need some antibiotics to treat it if it is a bacterial infection rather than just a build up of fluid. Start with 1 tsp/gal of Epsom salt (dissolved of course and added slowly to the tank over half hour at least) and observe over a day or two, if still the same or a little worse bump up to 2.5-3 tsp/gal for another few days. Again, if it has worsened or not changed at all stop the salts and get an antibiotic to treat it.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #3 
IanHulett

Is aquarium salt the same thing? I have API Aquarium salt which miraculously completely cured Lemon of Ich... BY ITSELF.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No, Aquarium Salt is for external issues such as Ich although it's not the best thing to use if you have other options.

Epsom Salt is something you find in a pharmacy not a fish store. You want 100% Magnesium Sulfate, no additives, scents or dyes in it to be safe to use. It is a natural laxative which helps reduce swelling and flush out internal parasites.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #5 
IanHulett

Okay. My father should be bringing it home when he get's back from work today. Meanwhile, if it is anything other than a buildup of fluids, how long would you say I have to correct this problem? Thanks a bunch.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I mean, shes not going to die within a week or anything lol, she has plenty of time, she'll lose her eye before anything else. Pictures will determine how far along she is though.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:45 PM   #7 
IanHulett

Okay. It's good that I have plenty of time. I almost forgot though, I don't have a hospital tank at the moment. I DO have the epsom salt though. Can I just put the epsom salt in the tank with the other guys in there?
Old 02-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It is preferred not to medicate the entire population if you can help it. Is it possible you can go to a second hand store and see if they have any small containers of any sort to use? That or any plastic ware storage bins from wal-mart would even work for a hospital tank.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #9 
IanHulett

Wow. I feel stupid. There's an empty 1 gallon tank that has been sitting on the floor for weeks and I forgot it was there. I think I'll use that. What do you think? Too small? Or is it fine?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh lol, that's okay! I've got little tanks all over as well and I totally forget they are there as well since I focus on the bigger tanks! And yes, a 1 gallon is perfect since you can dose the salt and/or medications usually easier. So as I said, start with the Epsom Salts and hope that it is just a fluid build up. If she/he needs meds, depending on the med type we can use Epsom Salt in conjunction with the medication for maximum efficiency IF it is necessary. If the medication is doing a great job battling infection, then there is no need to add Epsom Salts to just increase stress levels of the fish.

While fish are sick you want to keep their stress levels down or at least try to. I suggest at night covering the QT tank with a towel or blanket, this helps keep the fish calmer and a calmer, happier fish will have a better chance at fighting off infection because the immune system isn't so compromised by stress. That make sense?

Can you still get pictures? Pictures will help you determine if the swelling has increased or decreased through time as well, I always take pics when my fish are sick so that I can compare them and see what is helping and what might not be helping :) And to show others to get their opinions as well, two minds are better than one ^_^