Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #1 
ScuitoAmi150

Guppy question

I wasn't sure where to post this. My teacher just gave me his mosquito fish and guppies to keep (or just for the summer if I end up not liking them too much).

He thought one of the female guppies was pregnant (there is a male and female guppy, + 4 mosquito fish) so he put her in a breeding tank for a week, nothing happened. This was about a month or two ago.

I just read that the gestation period from guppies is from 20-50 days, depending on the conditions. After just looking it up information about pregnant guppies I learned that they have this dark spot behind their rib cages called a Gravid Spot. I'm pretty sure that she has this spot.

Is there any other way to tell if she is pregnant? She is incredibly fat compared to the male.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

I used to have guppies. I found the pregnant females were just huge compared to the males, as you said. A day or two, or a few hours (depending in the female) before they give birth, I find they also will not eat- ignore the food, or eat it then spit it out. This is gonna sound a little gross, but you can also see the little black eyes of the fry in the female too.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

When her stomach starts to look square or more square than round, she is getting close to her drop time. Gestation can take 28-32 days and she can hold up to 6 months of sperm to have 6 more drops without contact with a male.
The gravida spot is on all female guppy and gambusia and will get darker when pregnant, a dark gravid spot does not mean she is pregnant, often you can see the fry little eyes through the gravida spot if you look really close.
A heavy planted tank will help in fry survival, often in the breeder boxes the female can get stressed and drop fry early and they will die or born dead due to being premature and the female can get to them and eat them.
Post some pic...would love to see your new guppy and gambusia....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #4 
ScuitoAmi150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
When her stomach starts to look square or more square than round, she is getting close to her drop time. Gestation can take 28-32 days and she can hold up to 6 months of sperm to have 6 more drops without contact with a male.
The gravida spot is on all female guppy and gambusia and will get darker when pregnant, a dark gravid spot does not mean she is pregnant, often you can see the fry little eyes through the gravida spot if you look really close.
A heavy planted tank will help in fry survival, often in the breeder boxes the female can get stressed and drop fry early and they will die or born dead due to being premature and the female can get to them and eat them.
Post some pic...would love to see your new guppy and gambusia....
She does look pretty square but I don't see any fry eyes.
I'm trying to take pictures but they come out all glared because of the flash. And you can't see them without the flash. Haha. How do people take pictures of their fish? I can never get a good picture.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #5 
Betta Slave

I find it depends what kind of camera you have... I have a Nikon D80 and they work great, compared to my Fujifilm S1000. ...
Old 06-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #6 
ScuitoAmi150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Slave View Post
I find it depends what kind of camera you have... I have a Nikon D80 and they work great, compared to my Fujifilm S1000. ...
I have a Kodak AF (I think that is what it is. Has a 3x optical lens)
Old 06-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #7 
Betta Slave

I've never tried a Kodak... but for better close ups, a macro-setting definitely helps. I'm getting all of these infos from my dad lol. But he says you can probably make it work.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #8 
ScuitoAmi150

Quote:
I've never tried a Kodak... but for better close ups, a macro-setting definitely helps. I'm getting all of these infos from my dad lol. But he says you can probably make it work.
It kinda works if I take the picture from farther back on the flower setting. Haha.

I can't even get the camera anywhere near Vaslav (my King betta), he just completely freaks out and ends up in the corner looking like he just had a heart attack.
I'll get some good pictures of the female guppy tomorrow.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #9 
Betta Slave

Hah, really? My bettas pose for me... like, "Ooh, mom-fish-keeper-person.... Look at how purdy I ammm....." XD
Looking forward to pics!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #10 
ScuitoAmi150

Quote:
Hah, really? My bettas pose for me... like, "Ooh, mom-fish-keeper-person.... Look at how purdy I ammm....." XD
Looking forward to pics!
Lol, some bettas really love to pose! Axel sure does.