Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #1 
52cherish

Question Snails - recommendation needed

Hi,
I would like to add a snail to our 5 gal unfiltered all live plants tank. What recommendation can you give me? I saw a lot of beautiful snails in some of the posted pictures, but don't know what type of snails those are.
Thank you.
52cherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #2 
weluvbettas

Ramshorn snails are easy to care for and they dont eat live plants
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #3 
Welsh

I swear by Apple snails, I never thought I would find myself being obsessed by these little critters but I have a golden one and just last night I bought a purple one which is in the post and on its way to me, i guess thats why its called snail mail :P sorry terrible joke lmao
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #4 
secuono

I like pond snails, repopulate themselves and are cute.
secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #5 
bettalover2033

i would just recommend NOT to buy pond snails unless you want your tank full with little pouches of them in one week.

THEY MULTIPLY VERY VERY FAST. trust me that is one type of snail that you dont want :D

but i love them thats why im waiting for them to grow bigger:D i have like 60 pouches:D they will all populate really fast and they are just amazing:D

Last edited by bettalover2033; 06-10-2010 at 04:56 PM.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #6 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
I swear by Apple snails, I never thought I would find myself being obsessed by these little critters but I have a golden one and just last night I bought a purple one which is in the post and on its way to me, i guess thats why its called snail mail :P sorry terrible joke lmao

wow WELSH apple snails grow HUGE i think that an apple snail shouldnt be in a 5 gallon though. what do you think? i would like to have one but it will grow too big lol:D
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #7 
52cherish

Thanks for feedback

Thank you all for your feedback. I ended up getting a Black Mystery and an Inca Gold snail.
I went to two stores, neither carried ramshorn or trumpet snails. My daughter was with me and she saw the Inca Gold and so we bought it for the live plant 5 gallon tank. I then decided to buy java moss on a coconut and the Black Mystery snail for the 10 gallon tank. That was the tank set-up in the store.
I rinsed the java moss on coconut in cold water for about 5 minutes. Well... and now the tank has also two or three baby black mystery snails. I don't know how many or if any went down the drain.
Hope it takes them a while to get too big for these tanks. However, I have another 10 gallon and a 30 gallon tank sitting in the garage... so once the other tanks get too small, I will set up the big tank.
My husband is going to freak out when I set up another tank, but when you are hooked, your hooked....
52cherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #8 
Alienbetta1
Banned

I think Gold Apple Snails are the best.
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #9 
Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
wow WELSH apple snails grow HUGE i think that an apple snail shouldnt be in a 5 gallon though. what do you think? i would like to have one but it will grow too big lol:D
See I've heard mixed reviews on what size tank they really need, some say 2.5 and others say 5 gall. I'm assuming a smaller tank will just stunt their growth.

At the minute I have a baby apple in a 2.4 with my betta but the snail is only 5mm big and so unless the betta decides hes hungry I'll be transferring it when its bigger =) But yeah apple snails rock and are surprisingly very quick as my snail only took a day to get here :P
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #10 
JaspersANGEL

i wanted pond snail's to put in both my tanks but when i went to the store and looked in their plant tank they had none, so i ended up with two small gold mystery snail's, wich maybe was a better idea then the pond snail's because my betta's don't really care about the snail's as food. story:

" when by accident Jasper's snail Moon wander's in his cave/bed, i often find him sleeping outside on the gravel, the first time that happened i thought Moon was done for but Jasper just backed away and found a cozy spot under the plant and waited till Moon was done cleaning then the next morning i find him back in his cave."
i find him sleeping outside alot these days, guess it's easier in his old age to get to the surface.

snail's are cute lil' guys but watch the black mystery snail closely i think i read somewhere that they eat live plants
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote