Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #1 
doughnut

tank rigging ideas

Hey all. Well I recently went out and bought a small air powered filter for my 2.5 betta tank. The filter rises out of the tank a bit and causes the lid to side oddly. In the back cornor the lid sits about full inch above the tank.

Does anybody think this will be an issue? I had a betta that apparently had a jumping issue. I left home one weekend with the lid sitting turned so that the cornors of the lid and tank didn't line up, but the gap that they made wasn't too bit (or so I thought). Well when I came back home...Ringo was no more.

I can't really push the filter down anymore. It'd be in the gravel and the water flow would be slowed a lot. Can anyone think of an idea that might make it a bit more secure? Maybe if I added something along the back of the tank there that butted up against the lid so that the only gaps were along the sides. The lid would be at an angle I suppose.

Sorry for the rambling...lol thanks yall!

Michael
doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #2 
doughnut

.....hey how about some pictures???
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 AM   #3 
Magzmoir

The only thing I can think to suggest is to measure around where the filter rises above the lid level and get the lid trimmed. It would need to be a snug fit you wouldnt want to leave space for your betta to jump out. Either that or get some clear plastic and cut it to size in the same way, maybe easier to cut a sheet of plastic rather than your glass lid plus it would suck if you wanted to change filter again later and your lids then got a big gaping hole !
Magzmoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #4 
Learn To Fly

Does the intake tube come out? If so then maybe take it off, cut a couple inches off, put it back on and lower the filter.
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #5 
doughnut

Yeah the intake tube does come off. However the part that slpis into the filter is a smaller diameter then the part you see. I'd have to cut off oh 3/4 of an inch and then so that it'd be able to put it back together I'd have to sand down the top of the intake tube about 3/8 of an inch down from the edge. I may just remove some gravel from that area and push the filter down more. hmmm. Not sure yet.

Thanks for the input yall.

Michael