Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #1 
AnimeFish

Unhappy Torn Fins

While at petco getting a filter for my 10 gal yesterday. I got a 4" black air stone that I thought I would put in my 5 gal. The water current didn't seem to strong. Just came home and saw Hiei and Lights fins all torn up

Could have the air stone caused so much damage? Like I said, the current wasn't to strong. They were able to swim fine. Now I am bummed. How long does it usually take to get fins back to normal (if they even do)? Anything special I have to do to keep the fins from getting worse?

Currently they're in a split 5 gal tank. Has a heater which keeps the water near 78-80 degrees. Water is not cycled however. Here are some pictures.

Hiei before:

Hiei Tonight:

Light Before:

Light After:

AnimeFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #2 
Sizzlingtree

You might want to try adding aquarium salt- that is supposed to be the cure all for most things from what I've been reading (but then I'm a new betta caregiver). Also, make sure that the water is clean. I'm sure that keeping the fish as stress free as possible will help them recover faster.
Sizzlingtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #3 
Allenbetta

Make sure the water as clean as possible. changed the water periodically,which about 3 days a circle.
Allenbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #4 
Sarada

I isolated my fish for a few days and soaked his food in garlic. Garlic works as an antibiotic, although your fish doesn't have an infection it wouldn't hurt, might prevent one. Keep the water clean and add salt is about all you can do.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #5 
smallvle

Just make sure not to leave aquarium salt in for more than 10 days at a time (or do 10 days in, 5 days out.) It can cause all sorts of kidney problems if left in for too long, and i've recently heard it also can make bacteria more resistent. If used properly, though, it is great stuff. Just remember it does NOT filter out of the water OR evaporate, so only add more if you took water out. : )
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #6 
AnimeFish

Thanks for the suggestions everybody . I just put in a tetra whisper water filter and 100% clean water. Going to add some aquarium salt later tonight. They don't seemed to stressed. Hopefully it wont take to long for their fins to grow back!
AnimeFish is offline   Reply With Quote