Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #1 
weluvbettas

Breeding tigger?

my mom has finnaly let me breed tigger!!! wot things do i need ? wot type of female to choose? tank sizes? please give me any advice on how to breed them.
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

First, research and research some more and get a general idea and then ask questions on what you don't understand.
Get a book or two on Betta care and spawning and also start a log book of your own and write the process down, make a list of what you need and have.

Spawning this species is fun, raising the fry are fun...but it take time and a little money and most important is a "Plan"

Post a list of what supplies you have and your plan.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #3 
weluvbettas

well i have a 6 gallon tank wich tigger is in now (im going to use this as the breeding tank. im going out to buy a 5 gallon tank tommorow which im going to divide to put my male and female in. but were can i buy the jars to put the fry in?
Old 06-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

You will have better luck with a 10g for a spawning tank, live plants are also a good idea but you can still successfully spawn without live plants, live plant can help provide better development of micro-critters for the fry to eat and hide in as well as cover for the female.
What are your plans for feeding the fry?
Old 06-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #5 
weluvbettas

there are allready lots of live plants in the 6 gallon and they provide great coverage! the feeding is my only worry. wot do i feed them? i have read they eat baby brine shrimp.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Feeding and water changes are two of the most important factors in growth and development of the fry.

In my mature planted spawning tanks the fry eat infusoria and other microorganism for the first 3 days after they are free swimming and then I start adding newly hatched BBS with yolk sac intact for the first couple of weeks then I add white worms and later HUFA supplemented BBS.
I feed only live foods for the first 6-10 weeks depending on G & D
I start water changes 50% daily once I start adding live foods to promote G & D, prevent health issues and dilute the stunting hormone
I don't really have a strict feeding program as each spawn needs are different, their G & D dictate how, what, when and how long I feed, this is just general information on what has worked for most of my spawns and seasonal changes too, I feed daphnia, mosquito larva at times, seed shrimp, planaria and other critters and then I add my homemade foods in the mix as they grow and I move them to grow-out tanks starting at 20g moving up to 75g.
I also cover my spawning tank with a plastic veggie wrap after I remove the male or at least by the time they are 2-3 weeks of age to keep the air above the water warm and humid for the labyrinth organ, I want their first breath of air to be the same temp as the water and moist to prevent swim bladder issues now and later.
I keep my water temp at a steady 80F for spawning, egg development, wigglers.
I may turn the heat up to the 81-82F area (not always) by 2-3 weeks of age.
I don't use any filtration until they go into a grow out tank and that time varies from 2 weeks to 6 weeks, all depending on G& D
Old 06-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #7 
weluvbettas

thanks for the info. wot is the cost after it is all finished?
Old 06-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

That can vary, it depends on what you already have and your location.
General start-up cost in the USA.... can be $25.00-to-$200.-300.00
Old 06-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #9 
Fermin

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvbettas View Post
my mom has finnaly let me breed tigger!!! wot things do i need ? wot type of female to choose? tank sizes? please give me any advice on how to breed them.
Hi there. In your profile it says you're 11 years old. Does your mom understand the amount of work involved in breeding and raising fry?

Just curious since she'll probably be doing the brunt of the work come September when you're back in school and she finds herself with daily water changes x 35 fry jars lol.
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #10 
Betta Slave

Yep... Lots and lots of work... and lots of fry... and lots of food... and MONEY is a big one... Get your mom to do some research on breeding too.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote