Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #1 
Hermitpaws

Exclamation Baby Snails....Help!

Ok my snails had Baby's, and waaaaaaaay too many of them!!!( i think they had them over a long period of time and the baby's were blending in with the rock, so i didn't notice!) Currently about like 20-30 Baby snails are in my Bath tub right now!!!!!! mom and dad( my ONLY 2 Adult snails have been separated. the snails were born in a 2.5 gal tank with Koi my Betta fish.
problem is i need to solve HOW TO GET 30 baby snails OUT of my Shower!!!!!!!!!!!!!( note i have the drain covered with a suction cup.)
Sad thing I don't have any Tubaware, my mom refuses to let me use them.
What Can i DO?
Hermitpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:44 AM   #2 
truthequalslies

ooo what kinda snails? i'd take 'em if you dont want 'em but as of right now im broke =/
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #3 
Hermitpaws

That the thing i don't know what kind of snail ( one white the other is black) they came with my 16 gal which is empty now and i can't set up my 16 gal because i have no room. ill try to get a photo of mom and dad snail soon and post it.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #4 
Allenbetta

Afraid,you need the chemical medicine to kill those snail babies efficiently. Otherwise,there is nothing you can do about it.
Allenbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #5 
Hermitpaws

Kill THEM!!!!!!! poor things .... their so cute.... how can i kill them!!! anyway i couldn't get the pic to load on here because of my wifi signal, so i'll post them on my web page in like 5-10 mins.

also i did get them all out of my 2.5 gal tank cuz i took every thing out and put all new in ( gravel , plants) i also scrub it down with distilled vinegar.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #6 
Hermitpaws

Lucky me!!!!!!!!! A local Fish Store has offered to pay me $3 PER SNAIL!!! yay!! Money=Happiness X more fish supplies and decor!!!!!!!!! YAy!! soooo happy to have my shower back too.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I bait and trap mine with lettuce leaf floating or with a rock on it on the bottom, I also will use a small glass jar and put either lettuce or algae wafer in it and trap and remove.
I destroy them by placing them in newspaper and smashing them and tossing in the trash or I crush and remove the meat and feed to my fish.

Never release them into the environment, for one it is against the law and two it can destroy the natural habitat and our ecosystem.

When you chose this hobby like any other hobby that you deal with live animals you have to make tough choices and sadly some of those choices are euthanasia and death and dying.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #8 
NIB BETTA

I was going to suggest Assassin Snails. The only downfall is they do not eat algae, so you are stuck with feeding them after all the snails are gone.
NIB BETTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #9 
Hermitpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB BETTA View Post
I was going to suggest Assassin Snails. The only downfall is they do not eat algae, so you are stuck with feeding them after all the snails are gone.
Darn. well it looks like my snail layed eggs again(even though i separated them.) ....*Sigh*.... Lucky i got around to Finding 3 very large and tall vases in the basement that i can put the babys in. the vases belong to my mom but she said i could use them. im going to use saran wrap as a cover and poke small hole in the middle for air. thanks for all the ideas though, guys.