Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #471 
wewered

I was talking to my friend at lunch about this disease and he said that his white betta fish,snow, died of it. He said that in 24 hours, his betta went from white to black, and then died. Now we know that it also effects white betta as well.
wewered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #472 
maystable

So sad =( My blue boy, Shark, has something similar where there is like a blood-red color spreading throughout his tail/anal fin.
maystable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #473 
LittleBlueFishlets

maystable - blood red lines spreading through the fins can indicate septicemia. This is a not the disease described in this thread, but it is a very serious bacterial condition.

Please create a new thread, so that we have more information and so that people can offer advice! Copy and post the form from this thread into your post so that people have information.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #474 
dagny0823

I can't seem to PM the OP or DarkMoon17, but someone on here has pm'ed me to say that my fish looks like it had this:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=363497

I put him in water in the freezer yesterday, to preserve him until I can take him back to Petco (I'd bury him, but it's 10 degrees out, and if he has this, I guess he shouldn't be buried). Anyway, there was no other way to preserve his body--we had a major snowstorm yesterday--but I'm wondering if I should/can send him and how to get in touch with someone about it. If he does look like this is the cause of death from the pics in my thread, let me know. I'm so sad that I've failed him, but if his death can help in some way, that would be some positive from all of this.
dagny0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #475 
TerriGtoo

betta disease

Just curious as this was posted in 2012. Is this still an issue? I have not seen any blue bettas, or had any with this. My bettas are mostly blue as that is my favorite color. Has this disease/breeder been pinpointed?

[quote=Sakura8;944479]I wish to spread awareness about a disease that has struck several times in the recent months. It moves very, very, very fast, often killing within 12-24 hours. Nothing is known about this disease except that it is a bacterial disease that causes rapid and acute tissue necropsy and that it seems to strike blue bettas in particular. Several people are working on identifying this disease, including veterinary student DarkMoon17, but WE NEED YOUR HELP.
TerriGtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:56 AM   #476 
Churro

My betta changed color

For the past 2 days my dragon has been lying on the bottom of the tank in a weird pose... he sits on the gravel with his tail fin and head pointing up, I thought he had gotten the swim bladder disease (after googling around and going to the local pet shop) so I fed him a pea and there was no problem in him eating

Despite mostly lying there in the weird pose, he still swims normally when he does swim and he does still flare at the mirror...

This morning I woke up to find a section of his dorsal fin has turned into an orange color... and 5 hours after he is now lying on his side and has turned into a shade of green/orange...

2 of my other bettas that were in the same tank (divided by dividers) started acting weirdly a day before... I separately all of them immediately when I notice they had become inactive

They died just a few hours ago... they shared the same water before I separately them... the white/red male's body is showing 2 tones of white (normal white and a greeny white) and the white/red female looks like there are some white/clear stuff coming off her...

Is there anything I can still do for my dragon? :(

This is how he used to look and what he looks like now + my other white male
Attached Images

Churro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #477 
LittleBlueFishlets

Churro -

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear that your fish have been having problems. It doesn't sound like the "Graphite disease" or Mycobacterial infection, which are the topics on this thread, though.

I suggest that you create a new thread, so that more people will see it. Also, so that people have more information and can offer advice - please copy and post the form from this thread into your new thread so that people have additional details about what's been going on.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #478 
tapIG

My betta passed away and turned black in minutes, would that be considered graphite disease even though he had already passed? He did have the rainbow like colors and grayish black like the picture. I had him with my enders and I was wondering if this is something that can pass onto them. Also is this contagious and dangerous to humans?
tapIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #479 
LittleBlueFishlets

tapIG - With "graphite disease," they're still alive but their fins turn black as a result of necrosis (tissue death)..... The gray/black spreads from the tips of the fins upwards towards the body.

What symptoms did he have? More information would be helpful, but it sounds to me like your fish died first, and then turned dark (which wouldn't be symptoms of "Graphite disease.")

As for your other fish -- it depends on why he died.
-- If he had a contagious disease that they're susceptible to, then yes, they could potentially catch it.
-- If he had disease that wasn't contagious, or which only affects Bettas, then no, they wouldn't get it.

As for humans: There are some pathogens which can affect people. More would need to be known about the pathogen in order to determine exactly what it was. If it was something like Mycobactrium marinum, then yes, it can cause issues such as a nasty skin infection in people.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:31 PM   #480 
tapIG

I forgot to mention that he did have gray on his fin but it was on his dorsal fin. It was very small and had been there for at least 2 days before he passed, but once it did, it only took a few mins before it spread around the body. I know he was suffering from ammonia because the ammonia shot up overnight and even my endlers were affected by it. He didn't really go anywhere except to get air, kinda just layed down but still ate.
tapIG is offline   Reply With Quote