Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #1 
Alexanderismylife

Question about putting live plants in?

No clue if this is what autually happened to my friend or not but she had purchased some live plants for her male OHM betta fish Boomer. Then he developed fin rot a few days after.....So I'm kind of Ify about putting live plants in with my betta Alexander. Could the live plants be what gave my friends betta fin rot? Also what experiences have you guys had with live plants? Also what live plants do your bettas seem to like best???? And some ideas for safe and fun entertainment...for a betta?? Thanks you for reading!

~~Kayla
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #2 
dr2b

If I remember correctly, fin rot is related to water quality. Someone correct me if I am wrong though. I have 3 planted tanks, and in all three I have cryptocoryne wendtii. Then I usually have some sort of sword species in each one. My betta that just passed loved the wendtii. He'd rest on the leaves at night or up against the bottom of it under the leaves. Plants also help with using excess nutrients in the water. To keep live plants you need CFL bulb (not incandescent) and the proper wattage to gallon size. I personally love the look of planted tanks. I don't think I could go back to the fake plant route. :)
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #3 
Alexanderismylife

Thank you :] I will be for sure adding some live plants next time I get around to a petstore. I just had to check to see if the plants could cause fin rot!
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #4 
secuono

The plants should have nothing to do with fin rot. Plants help clean the water as well as add entertainment and hiding spots. You should get low to medium light plants, broad leaf and some low bushy plants. My Betta love to wiggle into the Dwarf Sag and sleep on the sand as if they are in a bed and the leaves are their blanket. ^.^
secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #5 
tahbi

I love live plants! I currently have five in my 10g, and one of them I'm growing from some seeds I purchased at walmart. They make my tank look so much more full and pretty. :)

The only problem I ever had was lighting. I think I gave them too much light actually. I would open my window blinds every day before school so a lot of sunlight would come in. And the plants looked like they were dying, but I think they were actually growing extremely fast and just shedding off their leaves and ferns. It was crazy but I found the solution, which was to just close my blinds. :P Pretty simple. And my shrimp loves to hide in them.
tahbi is offline   Reply With Quote