Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #1681 
Fin2you

Hey everyone it's awesome there is an ADF thread on here! We have 3; Freckles, Speckles & Dotty (9 & 7 year old kids what can I say?)!
I would love to post picts but each time I try it fails!
While these guys are my kid's I find myself checking up on them all the time! & wondering if they r getting enough to eat! 2 are nice & plump & big & the newest one is on his way too probably doubled in size in the 3weeks since joining our community tank!
Fin2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #1682 
Betta Nut

Hi frog people!

I've had my little ADF for a couple weeks now, in a sorority tank. Sand substrate. Everyone gets along fine. I am wondering if anyone else here has a frog in with their sorority, and if so, how have you been feeding?
The current routine for me, is not feeding girls til Frog (I honestly can't come up with a name for her) comes up to the front and starts looking at me like "Hey you, person-thing, I'm hungry!" I then sprinkle the girls food on the top, and then take a good sized pinch of the zoo med frog pellets and let them fall around Frog's head. Frog will snatch one as it's falling past her nose, then sit there contemplating life, not eating the rest, til the girls finish their meal and start poking around Frog for all those yummy pellets. Frog then gets territorial and protects her food, still not eating, til the girls have snuck in and pecked the bottom so many times nothing is left. THEN she starts scooping up sand where her food was, sifting it around and spitting it out. She gets so involved shooing girls away, she doesn't stop to try to eat, til they finish it off and leave.
End result: sorority is getting obese, and Frog, while not starving, is thinner than I'd like.
She's not afraid of my hand, so the obvious solution is to hand feed bloodworms when I get some. So after all that, should I feed her about a pinch worth every day, one time? Or has someone found a trick to pellet feeding with greedy fish.

I've browsed through a fair amount of this thread, but missed anything that might have been said about this.
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #1683 
Dakieda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Nut View Post
Hi frog people!

I've had my little ADF for a couple weeks now, in a sorority tank. Sand substrate. Everyone gets along fine. I am wondering if anyone else here has a frog in with their sorority, and if so, how have you been feeding?
The current routine for me, is not feeding girls til Frog (I honestly can't come up with a name for her) comes up to the front and starts looking at me like "Hey you, person-thing, I'm hungry!" I then sprinkle the girls food on the top, and then take a good sized pinch of the zoo med frog pellets and let them fall around Frog's head. Frog will snatch one as it's falling past her nose, then sit there contemplating life, not eating the rest, til the girls finish their meal and start poking around Frog for all those yummy pellets. Frog then gets territorial and protects her food, still not eating, til the girls have snuck in and pecked the bottom so many times nothing is left. THEN she starts scooping up sand where her food was, sifting it around and spitting it out. She gets so involved shooing girls away, she doesn't stop to try to eat, til they finish it off and leave.
End result: sorority is getting obese, and Frog, while not starving, is thinner than I'd like.
She's not afraid of my hand, so the obvious solution is to hand feed bloodworms when I get some. So after all that, should I feed her about a pinch worth every day, one time? Or has someone found a trick to pellet feeding with greedy fish.

I've browsed through a fair amount of this thread, but missed anything that might have been said about this.
I believe someone said something about a 'feeding dish' a couple pages back.

This website tells of a simple way to feed them. :3
http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id13.html
Dakieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:13 AM   #1684 
Laki

Yea, I think ADF can starve in community tanks if they're not given time to find out their food. They don't eat like bettas, instead it seems they take their time.

I only have 1 betta in my tank so I trick him into a cup and float him for an hour while I squirt the bloodworms or pellets into a little shell dish for the ADF. So far he hasn't realised it's there but he's got a belly so I'm sure he's been eating here and there. I never saw him in the dish which makes me think they'll scoop food into their mouth and sit there for a while "contemplating" haha

I'm hopfully getting the rest of my ADF stock today (I have been trying for 2 weeks but they always sell out as SOON as they get them in) so I'll find out more about ADF feeding. Just my observations with 2 ADF up till now.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #1685 
Betta Nut

I did get a feeding dish last week, but it just made it easier for the sorority to get all the food. At least when it was sprinkled on the bottom near the frog, a few bits would hide in the DHG there and I think she'd get one or two later, hence why she isn't starving. I'm just going to get some frozen food to hand feed tonight. Is once a day ok? I don't think I'll have the time to do it in the mornings before work.
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #1686 
Laki

Once a day feeding is perfectly fine! I only feed every second day.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #1687 
Chesh

Hey Fin! My three are Freckles, Speckles, and Spot - thanks to *my* kiddos - who are now 3 and 6! Sounds like they're eating and growing well!

@BettaNut - I've never run a sorority, but know from experience that feeding frogs in community can be tricky. As Laki said, there are many suggestions to be found if you read back on this thread.
I hand feed mine, or use a turkey baster - ADF will quickly learn where the food is coming from, and once you find something that works for your crew, be consistent with it. It gets easier with time.
Some frogs will learn to be a *bit* aggressive, and nip at fins to defend their food - while others will hide away and literally starve to death. Always a good idea to keep a close eye on things in there!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #1688 
Laki

So any advice on how to get them to eat out of a dish? I feed every 2 days and have been primarily aiming for the shell/dish. However, after an hour the food is still there. They can be seen climbing about like they can smell it but nothing. So I moved the dish and hauled out the large plant so they would be encouraged towards the food... still nothing.

I want to make sure they're eating so I have been using a turkey baster and putting food in front of them after about an hour of having food in the tank. I am worried if it keeps up this way I'll either have to just feed messily willy-nilly or they will starve. I can only keep FernBack in a cup for so long.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #1689 
Chesh

Hey y'all! Sorry to have been a bit MIA lately - and Gizzy is mid-move, I believe.

Laki... it may take a little bit for them to get used to a new feeding routine - I've found that it's easiest to train them in a solo tank, before they hit the community - but that isn't always possible.
What I would do is what you've been doing, more or less. ^__^

Once my frogs learn to associate the baster with food, they start to come out for it. I don't dish-feed, but from there, I'd just get them used to being fed in one particular spot - and then start feeding in the bowl from there, maybe?

ADF don't see very well, so it can take them a while to find food if you just drop it in. They're fantastic hunters - but they rely on their ability to detect prey moving in the water, and on scent. Mine come out more quickly when I disturb the surface just a little bit at feeding time, maybe that will help you, too.

I think Gizzy feeds with a bowl, hopefully she'll be by soon with more experienced input. :)

Hand feeding is so much fun, though! You should try it! I had mine in a 55g tank for a while - it wasn't too deep if I was wearing a tank-top) :P
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #1690 
Laki

Thanks Chesh! I might give them 2 nights off (I ussually feed every second day but last night they all got bloated) then I'll use the baster and not the dish until they all come out. I thought it would be easier!

I wouldn't call my tank a "community" since the only fish in it is FernBack lol