Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #381 
NozzALa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
All of mine did the same thing, and tore their fins. I just stuck a piece of silk plant in there so they can't get to it, and Wa La!

Just leave the stem long on a bushy section of the plant you cut, and stick it through the grate and bend it so it goes behind the sponge and stays put.
Haha, that probably would have worked as well, but I just went out and got zip ties and put it together a few minutes ago. The mesh and ties are white, so it's not as sleek as the other guys, but I think it looks pretty good.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #382 
mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozzALa View Post
Haha, that probably would have worked as well, but I just went out and got zip ties and put it together a few minutes ago. The mesh and ties are white, so it's not as sleek as the other guys, but I think it looks pretty good.
Whatever it takes. These Betta's just love that grate, and if you don't do something, they will just shred their tail. One of my boys is still growing his back it's been a couple months now. I mean he shredded it!
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #383 
givemethatfish

NozzALa - please tell me your tag is from Stephen King.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:38 AM   #384 
NozzALa

I wish I would have modified it when I first got it, his fins are wrecked, but hopefully they heal up now that I've blocked the grate.

And yes, it's Stephen King. I love The Dark Tower.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #385 
mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
Whatever it takes. These Betta's just love that grate, and if you don't do something, they will just shred their tail. One of my boys is still growing his back it's been a couple months now. I mean he shredded it!
Yeah, well who knew these guys now have an infatuation with return grates.

At least you have it taken care of now, so it won't happen again.
On my other tank, I put a Fluval Edge pre-filter over the return tube. The same fish got put into that tank, and he even wanted to lay against that one. I said, "I don't think so."

It will take a while for his fins to grow back, just keep an eye out for infections while it's going on. But you should start to see clear new growth soon.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #386 
NozzALa

I also just put a pre filter sponge over the output nozzle and zip tied it on after cutting it to a shorter size. The flow is a lot slower, but I can still see movement so the filter is still doing its job. Then I got Melaflix and I'm starting that. Now that everything is modded I hope to see fin growth in a couple of weeks with the Melafix.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #387 
mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozzALa View Post
I also just put a pre filter sponge over the output nozzle and zip tied it on after cutting it to a shorter size. The flow is a lot slower, but I can still see movement so the filter is still doing its job. Then I got Melaflix and I'm starting that. Now that everything is modded I hope to see fin growth in a couple of weeks with the Melafix.
I tried a pre-filter on the return, but didn't think it was pushing any junk into the intake, so took it off.
I just turn the return horizontal, up, and toward the glass. Now that my one boy is getting older and his body is a little bigger, it doesn't bother him anymore.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:15 PM   #388 
rylovesriska

Dis anyone have luck splitting the Fluval Spec? I wanted to know because I was thinking about getting it and was just wondering?
rylovesriska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #389 
mart

I'm about done with my Fluval Spec III. Thinking of taking out the divider where the filter media goes, and just putting in a HOB filter on it. Would also give more room in the tank. Just don't like the return setup, or the filtering.
It's either that or get another Pico tank.
Unless someone wants to buy this one like it is.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #390 
Otterfun

You can put a Tom's mini internal filter 0-5 gal in the pump slot, should still have water pass through the 3 stage filter block and then use the outflow hole for its outflow spray bar to reach into the tank. Very small disturbances. About 48gph which is not bad for a SPEC III or SPEC V
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fluval, nano, planted, spec