Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #11 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
I don't think anyone has mentioned ADFs. (African dwarf frogs)

I calculated it on AqAdvisor.com site last night and in my tank I could have 10 frogs and 1 betta. Bettas generally get along with ADFs and can't really do much harm to them anyway. ADFs should NOT be kept in a deep tank though with lots of current. They are weak swimmers.

I would NOT put glo fish or neons with your betta. Too much risk.

Glo fish: Genetically modified zebra danios. Very expensive for a little fish too. They are VERY active too. I recommend at least a 20g.

Neons: Nippy little things. Bettas can and do eat them too.

Guppies: big bio load. Bettas will often nip at them.

Otos make great tank mates!!! Except, they must always have algae to eat! They easily starve. Very sensitive.

Considering your situation with having to keep your bettas in small tanks, I HIGHLY recommend you divide the tank in 3-4 sections (if it's a 10g) and take care of your current fish instead of getting more new ones!!!!
haha doggy hog for a minute i thought that these were Otos

haha lol. are these good tank mates too?

also what about these swordtail fish?

how do you tell the difference from male or females?

i found three different looking ones this one:

and this one:

and lastly this one:
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #12 
Maryrox247

You can sex livebearers ( guppies,platys,mollies,swordtails,ect) by looking at their anal fin. If it is a triangle then it is a female if it is stickish its a male.( I dont how else to describe it lol) By the way the third swordtail ( second to last picture) is sick. I have had platies get that weird disease (dont know what it's called) where the belly gets super SUPER thin and the gills nearly or do hang over the sides a little and they die 100% of the time. NEVER buy a fish that looks like that!
By the way im not sure if they are good tankmates but i would recomend a 5-10 gallon tank if you are going to have your betta with them just in case. I have heard that they follow the betta like he's god. LOL
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #13 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryrox247 View Post
By the way the third swordtail ( second to last picture) is sick. I have had platies get that weird disease (dont know what it's called) where the belly gets super SUPER thin and the gills nearly or do hang over the sides a little and they die 100% of the time. NEVER buy a fish that looks like that!
what do you mean can you show another picture of that please?
Old 06-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #14 
Oscar Betta

Bottom dwellers make great tank mates with male bettas. For example cory cats and african dwarf frogs.
Oscar Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #15 
jeanclaudeasher

I have one of my bettas in with a few glass catfish. They get along well and pretty much ignore each other even at feeding time.
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:00 AM   #16 
caroro

Otos are great fish. I remember a long time ago when I got my first aquarium in my life, I got otos. They're cute too :) they're a great help with algae and very peaceful.
caroro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #17 
Dead Sunlight

White Clouds get along well with bettas. They are very peaceful and timid fish, and aren't fin nippers (Unlike goldfish!!!).

- Dead Sunlight
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:07 AM   #18 
Maryrox247

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post

Thats the sick one! Notice the thin and sort of bent belly on this male? Yup that one is sick! I just wanted to warn you so you dont have to bear to part with your finned friends when you first take them home!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #19 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryrox247 View Post
Thats the sick one! Notice the thin and sort of bent belly on this male? Yup that one is sick! I just wanted to warn you so you dont have to bear to part with your finned friends when you first take them home!
im happy that you told me that thanks:)