Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2010, 03:07 AM   #1 
Mudman

New here.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say hello.
I recently just got a new tank, to finally get the Betta out of the plastic critter cage my mother originally had it in.

I am not sure what kind it is, nor the true color. As it faded away from when we first had it. However since putting it in the new tank, he has been much more active. I've also started feeding him live bloodworms, which has also shown great results to his activity. The color is also starting to get better. His tail had been shredded from the plastic plants that were also housed in the critter tank. Hopefully over time in the new tank- it will all grow back.

Onto the tank:
Mr. Aqua 11.4g frameless tank
Aqua-tech 5-15 filter (borrowed) hoping to get a Toms Canister soon
Lilly pipes for canister (on the way)
Azoo substrate
Plants (unsure)

Here is a photo I took with the phone:

This one is blurry, but shows the color quite well:
Mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:04 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

He's so pretty. I'm not great with tail and color types but I think he's a butterfly HalfMoon.

He'll be so happy in that new tank. I would suggest getting a cave or pot in there for a hiding spot (no sharp edges and if there's a hole in the pot, plug it up first).

And I'm not sure if it's the pictures but his body looks enormous. Is he bloated? What are you feeding him on a daily basis?
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:08 AM   #3 
beta novice

very nice betta get real plants over fake plants and get some hiding places so he doesnt get bored http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29868 how to tell tail type and color
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #4 
Mudman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta novice View Post
very nice betta get real plants over fake plants and get some hiding places so he doesnt get bored http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29868 how to tell tail type and color
Thanks, what you see in the above photo are real plants. I just ordered some X-Mas Moss for grow on a piece of driftwood.

I literally just started up the tank this Saturday. So I wasn't really sure what I wanted in the tank just yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
He's so pretty. I'm not great with tail and color types but I think he's a butterfly HalfMoon.

He'll be so happy in that new tank. I would suggest getting a cave or pot in there for a hiding spot (no sharp edges and if there's a hole in the pot, plug it up first).

And I'm not sure if it's the pictures but his body looks enormous. Is he bloated? What are you feeding him on a daily basis?
Not sure if he's bloated. I don't know how to tell the difference.

He's fed twice a day. I usually start him out with two bloodworms in the morning, and then 2-4 Hikari micro wafers when I get home from work.

Is that way too much food?
Old 06-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #5 
beta novice

i dont know betta's arent supposed to eat much though the food i feed my betta says 3-5 pellets a feeding
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

He looks like a Doubletail to me. Possibly a HMDBT? He has beautiful butterfly coloring. :) Yes, more plants, the better. If you give them too much empty space, they feel very insecure, they love hiding in plants and decor. He does look a little bloated. Bloated just means constipated. This can happen when you overfeed them. Since they're stomachs are the size of ONE of their eyes, it's VERY small. They will always look like they're starving, but don't give in!lol

I feed my bettas 4-5 pellets a day. I also alternate foods because they like variety. I give them flakes the day before I do water changes (flakes can cloud the water up) and I give them freeze-dried bloodworms the day before I fast them (this can give them bloat also). Bloodworms should be only given as a treat once or twice a week, not as a normal food. The pellets should be the staple food. Like I said, I feed mine 4-5 pellets a day (2-3 in the morning, 2 at night).

Just as a side note, you should only keep the tank light on for no more than 8 hours a day, bettas need a day/night schedule just like we do. Since they are warm water fish, you should also get a heater. The water needs to stay at 76-80*F. They also need a constant temperature, too much fluctuation can hurt them. Enjoy your betta, they have such amazing personalities!

Last edited by BettaxFishxCrazy; 06-16-2010 at 08:12 AM.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #7 
1fish2fish

Very pretty HMDBT!!! You know he is a double tail because of his wide dorsal fin, and somewhat short body. I have a green fish that looks just like him.

If your feeding him live bloodworms I suggest you keep up with that. Live foods are the absolute best thing you can feed a fish. But still make sure to give him a variety. Your feeding schedule sounds just fine to me. 2 blood worms is fine and the hikari micro wafers are really tiny so you can feed 4 or 5 of them.

Very nice set up. Once you get a few more plants in there and a cave or two its going to look great! Your fish will love it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #8 
Mudman

Some new photos.

Hey guys, hope you don't mind. But here are some better photos.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

We LOVE seeing pictures! :) He's so gorgeous.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #10 
Mudman

thanks guys! I had no idea his stomach was the size of one of his eyes. I've definitely been over feeding then.

I've also ordered a bunch of X-Mas moss and Flame moss. So that will give him plenty of coverage for hiding. The driftwood is being leached in a bucket right now to get rid of the tannins.

Last edited by Mudman; 06-16-2010 at 07:06 PM.