Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #11 
Dead Sunlight

Gee, thanks guys... Yeah, Oldfishlady? Actually, I'm currently doing my first spawning! I know, you guys may think that I'm a newbie at this, but I've been raising and keeping bettas for quite a while!!! It's just now that I've been allowed to spawn. Don't worry- I research Bettas 24/7. I know what I'm doing. For fry foods, it's best to stick with liquid foods for the first 1-5 days, then gradually move them up to small live foods (My favorite is Baby Brine Shrimp). Keep them on the food you chose for about 10 weeks(At that stage you can start to identify the males). Next you can start them on FINELY crushed powered foods. Don't start on pellets, because the coarse substance can tear at their delicate mouth tissues. You'll be ready to use commercial foods when your fry are rounding their 3rd month of life. (I would start with flakes and gradually move up to pellets so that they won't be shocked by the sudden coarseness). To condition the breeders, you should make their diet up of completly live foods. (Commercial foods will slow down the spawning process). Place the breeders in adjoining cups where they can see each other and leave them in there for 3-10 days depending on their readiness. When the breeders are ready, release the male first into the spawning tank so that he has a chance to look around. 1 hour later, release the female. Methods for me... Oh! I know that I might sound strict, but get a timer and set it to 1 hour. 1 hour is the best time to give your male a chance to look around. Not to early, because if the male hadn't had long enough of a time to "explore", he could tear her to shreads, and not to late, because some males get agitated it they aren't seeing a female for so long. Like I said, I'm currently spawning!!!

So? Did I help you? Please write me back and let me know!!!

- Dead Sunlight
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like you have a plan..

I do things a bit different and have been spawning this species for over 10 years now, currently working on a color line.
I use 10g mature natural planted tank full to the top with water with lots of common snails to help make infusoria a great first food for the fry.
I condition the breeders on live foods like mosquito larva, guppy fry and my homemade food
I place the breeders in the tank together and will usually get spawning within an hour or so up to 3 days depending on the readiness and age of the female
I don't start to feed the fry until they are roughly 7 days old or 3 days after they are free swimming. I start off with newly hatch BBS and later add white worms and HUFA supplemented BBS along with all the natural foods that are in the tank like infusoria, microorganism, seed shrimp etc....I will add daphnia to the mix as well
I have found that keeping the water temp at 80F with get my hatch within 24-28h and the wiggles will be strong and healthy without many fallers.
I also cover the top of the tank with a plastic veggie wrap when I remove the male or at least by 2-3 weeks of age, this is to keep the air above the water warm and humid for their first breath when the labyrinth organ development at around 4-5 weeks to prevent swim bladder issues and resp. problems.
Once I add the first live foods I will start making 50% daily water changes to prevent health issues, dilute the stunting hormone and encourage strong growth and development.
I start to move the larger fry out to a grow-out tank (20g) some as early as 2 weeks if I have more than 100 fry- but usually 4-6 weeks, all depends on growth and development.

Lots of different methods to spawn and rear fry and IMO most are correct, it is finding what works for your breeder and set-up...

What are your plans for the fry once they grow up and ready for new homes
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #13 
Dead Sunlight

Well, like you said, every breeder has their own way of doing things...

Do you know Maryrox247? I know her in real life, and we're spawning our Bettas!!!

Yeah, we have been thinking about homes for our little darlings... Maryrox247 is going to keep some females, and so am I. A lot of people on this forum are intrested in some of our fry, so that takes care of a hefty amount of them. A small portion will be sold to family and friends, and the rest will be traded at a local pet store for store credit.

Do you have any other suggestions?

- Dead Sunlight
Old 06-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #14 
SterlingX123

Welcome!
SterlingX123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #15 
1fish2fish

I don't agree with selling fry to pet stores. It perpetuates an already vicious cycle of bad care. I'd rather cull healthy fish than see them wind up in a pet shop to go to someone with a half gallon tank who doesn't do water changes.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #16 
Dead Sunlight

Yeah, that's right... (It was Maryrox247's idea... not mine). You have any other ideas?

- Dead Sunlight
Old 06-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

I don't have issues with trading with ma & pa type shops which is the only place that usually will trade anyway or give store credit.
You can only trust and have faith that the new owners will take proper care of the fish...just like any live creature that is passed along to strangers....hope for the best.......is all you can do.....

I think it is wrong to kill a healthy fish because of an unfounded fear of the unknown...have faith in your fellow man to do what rights.....

Just because one persons method and/or ways in keeping fish are different than yours doesn't mean that it is wrong.
Lots of different fish keeping method and most are correct, it is finding what best suits your needs and fish needs...what works for you.....

And everyone also has a right to their own opinion....
Old 06-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #18 
Dead Sunlight

I really have to think about that as well... Say Oldfishlady, would you be intrested in any of my fry? Their father is Orange- The orange Roundtail with black trademarks on his body. The mother is Maryrox247's Queenie- She's a bold red crowntail.

Tell me what you think

- Dead Sunlight
Old 06-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

What state are you in, honestly I don't need any as I have over 50 adults and 2 spawns in grow-out, one spawn that I only got 12 surviving due to malfunction of a heater..again... and about 150- 7-8 day old fry...so I will be running out of room...

Would love to see a pic of the breeders and your other Bettas too....