Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #1 
52cherish

Cloudy substance developed overnight on tank walls

I had a real weird thing happen overnight. Our 5 gal tank developed a cloudy substance on its inside walls overnight. It is cycled, heated, has live plants and one male Betta. Filter is ordered, but so far I was doing a 50% water change twice a week. Last change was on Sunday. The water tested good even with the cloudy substance. It was not algae... since it was really more white and slimy.
The 5 gal. tank was a hand me down that I thoroughly cleaned and that was up for over 5 weeks now. I basically freaked a little since even my kids said that the tank looks awful with that stuff in there.
I emptied it all out, tested the water again. Set up a 10 gal. tank and used about 15 % of the old water as a starter for a cycle.
When I cleaned the 5 gal. tank, I recognized a foul smell. What could have caused this substance and why the foul smell?
Any suggestions very appreciated. Cherry is currently in a little holding bowl and doesn't really like the limited space. So before I place him into the 10 gal. I want to make sure I didn't mess up reusing 15 % of the old water...Thank you.
52cherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What are your water pram numbers for: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and what kind of test are you using? strips or the liquid reagent type?

Any aeration in that tank since you don't have a filter on it?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #3 
52cherish

I have a liquid test set (Freshwater Master Test Kit) for pH, ammonia, Nitrite. I have test strips that cover pH, ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, hardness.
All reading with either set are and were in the ideal range. On Sunday morning prior to the maintenance I had an slightly elevated Nitrate of 15 ppm. The parameters this morning were all down to 0 on ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite. The pH is between 6.5 and 7 and the hardness is around 110ppm. It's treated to take out any Chlorine.
The funny thing is really that the water didn't smell foul, only the substance that showed up on the glass when the water was out had an odd smell.
The smaller filter is on its way. Since it was the 5 gal tank, I used to put a filter for a bigger tank (10 to 20 gal) in after each feeding and ran it for about 30 min daily. I can't adjust the flow on the filter and I didn't want to stress out Cherry. I didn't run the filter on Monday, since that was the no food day for the fish.
I saw that you mentioned in one of the other threads that the grass in one of the tanks was not an aqua grass. Looking at the one I just bought last week, it looks like the one you picked up on. Could that plant be dying and causing such an occurrence? I checked the plant today, it wasn't smelling and except for two leaves everything looked pretty solid.

Last edited by 52cherish; 06-15-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: forgot to mention the manufacturer of test kit
Old 06-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

The bacteria that cycle need oxygen to live and colonize, without some type of aeration you will not get a true cycle.
A cycled tank water prams will read:
Ammonia and nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5-10pp
Nitrate over 20ppm can start to affect the immune response
pH-vary and most fish will adjust to the pH without issue, sudden swings can be deadly and stressful

Mondo grass can live underwater for a while but it will start to rot and foul the water, even if it looks okay now, it is what you can't see that is the problem and once you start to see the problem you can have a bacterial bloom and ammonia spike that can harm the fish and smell really bad.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #5 
52cherish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The bacteria that cycle need oxygen to live and colonize, without some type of aeration you will not get a true cycle.
The water levels were in the ideal readings. The only thing right now is the filter.
The 10 gal is set up and if the water values remain stable overnight, I will place Cherry into the 10 gal tank. At that point I can run the filter for longer times. Since it is a power filter I am worried of stressing Cherry out too much. How long is sufficient for the aeration? Btw, it is a standard 10 gal tank with lots of surface space. Do I need an airstone in addition to a filter?
The 5 gal tank might now become my backup for quarantine issues.

Last edited by 52cherish; 06-15-2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: forgot question
Old 06-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

You really need aeration 24h/day to maintain a colony, and no you don't need to add an airstone just an either or use of one
Old 06-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #7 
52cherish

Thank you once again for all your good feedback. The filter is now up and running 24/7 in the 10 gal tank... and while I was at the store, I also bought a handful of Neon Tetras to keep Mr. Cherry company.
The fish keeper at the store said it would be okay to add the NTs right away, although I am not sure where the cycle is at this point in time. All water params are in the ideal area and the store confirmed with a API test kit, different manufacturer than mine but same substances tested.